Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barbary sheep

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The January / February season is appealing to me. I applied unsuccessfully last year after finding little info while researching. Non resident draw odds will probably be substantially lower this year and following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyhunter View Post
    The January / February season is appealing to me. I applied unsuccessfully last year after finding little info while researching. Non resident draw odds will probably be substantially lower this year and following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I imagine they will get alot harder to draw now too.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Draw odds are the same. The only species that were not under the 84/10/6 split before were ibex, oryx, and desert/rocky mountain bighorn sheep (all of the once in a lifetime species). Barbary sheep draws were already limited to 10% outfitter and 6% non-resident. I applied in the 6% non-resident pool for February season. It looks like odds will be in the 10-20% range based on the previous 2 years. Odds were more like 25-35% when they had the 78/12/10 split before 2012. Thanks New Mexico!

The draw odds were way better for the guided pool. 75-100% the last 2 years. If you could find a ranch where they are located and secure permission via trespass fee, you could buy an OTC license and hunt private land even in the limited draw areas. But you would be restricted to private land only. I hope this helps and if I don't draw then I would be interested in going that route as well. Maybe we could plan on going out together if you need someone to split up the costs. I've been wanting to hunt them for a couple of years now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    MM Barbary sheep hunting must not be very a peeling to other hunters

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky hunter View Post
    MM Barbary sheep hunting must not be very a peeling to other hunters
    Good it makes the draw odds better for us!!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would gladly trade you guys a Barbary sheep tag for an elk tag if I found one!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rocky Mountain bighorns 12 permits (including youth), Desert bighorns 16 permits (including youth), Ibex 265 permits (including 200 archery only), Oryx 500+ permits (premier, off range, military, youth, broken horn) and Barbary sheep 1210 permits. It's more about supply and demand. Obviously bighorns are extremely sought after and offer very, very few permits. Ibex have bad odds but only 65 any weapon permits. Oryx draw odds are what surprised me. They must be highly sought after by many people. I didn't add up the number but just guesstimated 500+. Barbary sheep are not as highly prized but there are way more tags given out to make the odds a little better.

I wonder why they adapt and thrive in that environment where our native sheep struggle? Do they directly compete with native sheep and infect them with foreign diseases? Any thoughts?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We hunted this year with a local we met last January deer hunting. He showed us where they were and it was still a very tough hunt, we didn't even see a sheep until Day 4. If I had gone down without his help, I never would've found a single one.

My advice is to find a local or a guide that will help you out, or pay a trespass fee. They are very tough to find on public land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky hunter View Post
    Who all has hunted Barbary sheep in New Mexico is it even worth the drive I would be going into this blind if I ever decide to try. I wish New Mexico had a hunt atlas like Colorado it has been a big help when it comes to finding public land an what animal that lives there.
    It's always worth the drive! However, both of my N.M. public land Barbary sheep hunts required a lot of time in the field. On the first hunt, I hunted 19 days before seeing one. On the second, because I felt it would be hard to top my first ram and, I had been on several hunts prior that year, I shot an ewe [I believe on the 9th day]. I had not seen any before that. As always, a guided hunt on private land, if an option, would up your odds of success. I understand Texas has plenty of Audads and private land. Plenty of public land in N.M.. Pick up 100,000 scale BLM Land Status maps for the areas that you think you want to hunt. I hunted SW of Roswell. Terrain was mild/moderate. Can get cold there early in the year. Water is scarce. More deer than sheep.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds interesting, especially if the private land or unlimited area OTC licenses pan out. Keep me in mind.

I get out to NM usually once a year and I always fly. I have a friend about an hour north of Albuquerque that I'm sure would let me borrow his truck. It costs way more to drive back and forth than to fly, which for me runs about $400.