Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    I'd like to see just where the G&F will employ these tag funds. If it's for the benefit of the moose population, all well and good. Just so it isn't used to hire a new fish biologist or produce another TV show.
    Here's a link to show where the Moose auction $ have been spent. 2012 and 2013 haven't been posted on their website yet. http://www.wyomingwildlifefoundation...20PROJECTS.pdf

Ten percent of the tag $ goes to the seller (NAMF, WSF, MDF, SCI, etc.) Ten percent goes to the All Wildlife projects (pikas and dickie birds) and 5%(?) to Wyoming Wildlife - The Foundation for administration purposes. The remainder goes directly to moose projects like those on the list...no pension funds.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The Governor's tag money is used for good purposes. Unfortunately there is not the same oversight on the numerous Commissioners tags that are given out, as all the money they generate can be used by the organizations that receive them and some are not even involved in wildlife conservation.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 04-10-2014 at 01:00 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    Giving a bounty on wolves would be some serious ammo for the pro wolf crowd. If the G&F were to cleverly employ these funds they might do the following: Give wolf hunters in and around the wolf trophy zone a hotline or webpage to visit on latest wolf sitings or pack locations, especially in critical moose habitat. Of course funds could also be used to help biologists further understand how to help moose, such as range improvements and habitat preservation measures.
    In regards to the pro wolf crowd- I'm really not concerned on "what" they do. My post had a touch of sarcasm, but my thoughts about them has more to do with eliminating them from our discussions.

I do have a concern about what the money raised and used for. It could be a combination of funds used for the wolf population control(Since the feds started all of this) along with -Moose, Elk and Deer Herd Development and improvement. Most of the funds generated for the division of wildlife should be used for the conservation of game species.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DH56 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    In case you guys are not aware of how Wyoming works the Governor tags, there is a committee for each animal that is responsible for seeing that the money raised by sale of the tags for that animal are used properly. I know a resident that is on the Moose Committee and he's very impressed the way that program works so that the money raised all goes for a good purpose. It's the Commissioners tag system that needs to be overhauled and put in line with the Governors Tag Program, as each Commissioner is allowed to give out 8 big game tags to whatever organization they choose and it doesn't even have to be one that is involved with wildlife conservation. The Cancer Society, as an example, could have a person in the right place that knows a Commissioner and get a free tag. That might be a great organization, but IMHO it should not get funds from the sale of our big game tags!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 04-14-2014 at 02:34 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by DH56 View Post
    In regards to the pro wolf crowd- I'm really not concerned on "what" they do. My post had a touch of sarcasm, but my thoughts about them has more to do with eliminating them from our discussions.

I do have a concern about what the money raised and used for. It could be a combination of funds used for the wolf population control(Since the feds started all of this) along with -Moose, Elk and Deer Herd Development and improvement. Most of the funds generated for the division of wildlife should be used for the conservation of game species.
    Unfortunately policies toward wolves have to take the PR angle into consideration since there are many powerful organizations who wish no more bullets ever be fired at a wolf (or anything else for that matter). Giving them ammo is not a good idea, thus the reason for my comment. What they do should be of concern to all hunters. I believe they've proven their resolve to see wolves protected.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    Unfortunately policies toward wolves have to take the PR angle into consideration since there are many powerful organizations who wish no more bullets ever be fired at a wolf (or anything else for that matter). Giving them ammo is not a good idea, thus the reason for my comment. What they do should be of concern to all hunters. I believe they've proven their resolve to see wolves protected.
    Unfortunately when politics and "PR" is mixed with wildlife conservation- wildlife conservation loses-like everything else politics is involved in. Wolves were a problem in many of these areas when they existed long ago with ranchers who raised livestock for a living along with landowners, and re-introducing them should have raised a red flag to the feds before they did so. I believe wolves have their place in the ecosystem, but I also believe the feds had an "agenda" when they introduced them-

I'm steering this off topic now, so I'll refrain from anymore talk about politics and wolves so the OP can continue on with his intent of the thread
    Last edited by DH56; 04-15-2014 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by DH56 View Post
    Unfortunately when politics and "PR" is mixed with wildlife conservation- wildlife conservation loses-like everything else politics is involved in. Wolves were a problem in many of these areas when they existed long ago with ranchers who raised livestock for a living along with landowners, and re-introducing them should have raised a red flag to the feds before they did so. I believe wolves have their place in the ecosystem, but I also believe the feds had an "agenda" when they introduced them-

I'm steering this off topic now, so I'll refrain from anymore talk about politics and wolves so the OP can continue on with his intent of the thread
    Unfortunately "PR and Politics" will never be taken out of it . . . Kind of like saying it'd be a dang nice day if it wasn't raining . . .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I find it difficult to imagine anyone who applies for a tag to be in favor of selling that same tag to the highest bidder. Anytime you put a high price on hunting you exclude some people who have just as much right to hunt that animal as the rich guy. What about the guy who has been applying for that tag for years only to have it sold to the highest bidder?

Bob

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BobT For This Useful Post:

Zim

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    I find it difficult to imagine anyone who applies for a tag to be in favor of selling that same tag to the highest bidder. Anytime you put a high price on hunting you exclude some people who have just as much right to hunt that animal as the rich guy. What about the guy who has been applying for that tag for years only to have it sold to the highest bidder?

Bob
    I think it's fair to say that the funds these tags raise directly provide benefits for the species that far outweigh the loss of five animals otherwise available in the general pool of tags. The purpose of these auctions is to raise money that will benefit the species (i.e. more animals and healthier animals) through improved habitat on winter ranges, disease research, causes of mortality research, etc.

Last year WG&F sold 493 res & nonres. moose tags which brought in about $169,000 to WG&F's general fund. The 5 governors moose tags for 2014 brought in $134,000 and most of it will be dedicated towards various moose related projects. If these 5 tags were sold through the normal draw process they would have only bring in an additional couple thousand bucks.

Although it may not be fair that one has to apply for a tag for 20 years while another can purchase a tag at will, in the long run it does benefit us all, especially the moose.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post: