Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,080
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 671 Times in 235 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 25 Times in 9 Posts

    Cooking on the Traeger!

    This grill came home with us from the ISE show in SLC.
    Ike has gotten to use it a few times and plans to use it from the camper during antelope season.

    What game meat would you cook on this grill? How many of you have used one for game meat? If you don't use a Traeger, what do you cook on your gas/charcoal grill?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Umpqua River, Oregon
    Posts
    2,318
    Thanks
    406
    Thanked 498 Times in 312 Posts
    Congratulations
    49
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    I love pellet grills! I went with the Green Mountain Grill because it has a digital temp controller and digital temp readout. It is adjustable in 5░ increments. You can also cook at lower temperatures than most pellet grills, as low as 150░F for smoking salmon.

    That's a pretty cool portable looking one.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon Coast
    Posts
    717
    Thanks
    275
    Thanked 150 Times in 124 Posts
    Congratulations
    38
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I love pellet grills! I went with the Green Mountain Grill because it has a digital temp controller and digital temp readout. It is adjustable in 5░ increments. You can also cook at lower temperatures than most pellet grills, as low as 150░F for smoking salmon.

    That's a pretty cool portable looking one.
    Me too Jim,

    I know the owners and they are great folks.
    They just about have me convinced to enter my first competition using their grill.
    Treagers are awesome products as well, I just happened to eat pulled pork off the GM first!!!!!
    I use it as my smoker now by adding a cold smoker chamber.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

  4. #4
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,080
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 671 Times in 235 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 25 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    Me too Jim,

    I know the owners and they are great folks.
    They just about have me convinced to enter my first competition using their grill.
    Treagers are awesome products as well, I just happened to eat pulled pork off the GM first!!!!!
    I use it as my smoker now by adding a cold smoker chamber.
    What would you be cooking in the competition?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon Coast
    Posts
    717
    Thanks
    275
    Thanked 150 Times in 124 Posts
    Congratulations
    38
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    What would you be cooking in the competition?
    The competition I was talking about is a small one here on the OR coast.
    I believe Tri tip, Brisket, Ribs, & pork butt are the meats.
    I know the folks at Green Mountain have a booth in Reno at a big competition as well.

    My best meat so far has been pork ribs "slow and low".
    Did a pretty awesome turkey last month.
    Those small units are awesome for hunting and camping.
    I don't use gas or charcoal anymore since I attached a cold smoker to the GM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

  6. #6
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,080
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 671 Times in 235 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 25 Times in 9 Posts
    What is your rib recipe? Deer ribs I need to try....

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    5,158
    Thanks
    1,256
    Thanked 649 Times in 560 Posts
    Congratulations
    187
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Traded a case of beer for my gas BBQ! I mostly cook whatever I am successful at putting a tag on which has been deer and antelope the last few years and I steer we fed out last year! I really prefer a good hard wood for things like tri tip over the gas though!
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon Coast
    Posts
    717
    Thanks
    275
    Thanked 150 Times in 124 Posts
    Congratulations
    38
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    What is your rib recipe? Deer ribs I need to try....

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    PM headed your way........ guard with your life!!!!!!
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Umpqua River, Oregon
    Posts
    2,318
    Thanks
    406
    Thanked 498 Times in 312 Posts
    Congratulations
    49
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    The competition I was talking about is a small one here on the OR coast.
    I believe Tri tip, Brisket, Ribs, & pork butt are the meats.
    I know the folks at Green Mountain have a booth in Reno at a big competition as well.

    My best meat so far has been pork ribs "slow and low".
    Did a pretty awesome turkey last month.
    Those small units are awesome for hunting and camping.
    I don't use gas or charcoal anymore since I attached a cold smoker to the GM.
    My best is baby back ribs. They are ridiculous. We can't even eat ribs out anymore cause we're spoiled. We are making them this weekend at my daughters request for her birthday.

    Another favorite is BBQ chicken thighs. Very easy recipe. We used to do it on charcoal, but it is so much easier to maintain the temp on the pellet grill.

    Also my wife's "Unbelievable Chicken". It is a breast meat recipe.

    Also my wife does a herb whole chicken that is soooo good too. I'm getting hungry just thinking about this.

    The list goes on and on.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Alta Loma CA
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Congratulations
    109
    Congratulated 52 Times in 5 Posts
    I love my Traeger just cooked up sum Elk cut into 2''round about 8'' long wrapped with bacon also baked potato rub olive oil and roll in corse salt smash the salt into the potato no foil and acorn squash cut 1/2 thick rings olive oil salt & pepper.
    Last edited by dustin ray; 04-07-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    Trying like hell to live the dream,Nomad

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. cooking small game in the backcountry
    By mcseal2 in forum Everything Backcountry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2012, 07:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •