Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

OTC Idaho Archery Elk

Hey I've never hunted in Idaho before, I'm from Nevada and didn't draw an elk tag here for the 8th year so I'm looking out of state for DIY arhcery in Idaho. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. Semper Fi!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There are no elk in Idaho that is just a nasty rumor started by people from Colorado in an effort to distract non resident hunters.

Actually there is plenty of good elk hunting. If your sure you will be hunting here and going to buy the out of state license you may as well put in for a controlled hunt tag. You have until the 5th of June to get in for the draw, I think it's about $15 to put in and if you don't draw you will be able to buy the OTC tag anyway.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, T43....we were all saying that until Steve went out and had to get published on the cover of EBJ. Now the world knows our secrets and now they all want to come hunt Idaho.

I think that Fish and game should first make non residents shoot a wolf to earn the right to buy a tag!!
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey wolftalonID I'm all for the take a wolf for an elk game!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    Well, T43....we were all saying that until Steve went out and had to get published on the cover of EBJ. Now the world knows our secrets and now they all want to come hunt Idaho.

I think that Fish and game should first make non residents shoot a wolf to earn the right to buy a tag!!
    Ya, leave it to some awesome picture on the cover of a magazine to discredit our lie. I do kind of like the wolf for an elk tag idea.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by T43 View Post
    Ya, leave it to some awesome picture on the cover of a magazine to discredit our lie. I do kind of like the wolf for an elk tag idea.
    Sorry about that guys. I just tell people I got really lucky and it was the only elk I saw and not to bother hunting Idaho. In reality we have good elk hunting for numbers but in 10 years of bowhunting elk I have only seen one elk bigger than mine. The general over the counter tags it's dang hard to find a bull over 300.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sure I'll come to Idaho and hunt, I'll even shoot a wolf to help out the elk population!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Did you put in for any hunts in the controlled drawing? Have you researched any area's that you might be wanting to try? Coming from NV. I would look into possibly 43 (Smoky Mt. Zone) as a place for you.
    "Shooting for the FUTURE"
    www.scootersyouthhuntingcamp.com
    Mossy Oak, Carbon Express, Parker Bows, Copper John, Montana Decoys and VPA Broadheads.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a great view of 43 from my living room window and spend a lot of time in the Smokey Mt Zone. I can say without a doubt there are no elk in there. None. Not a one. Never has been, never will be. Hmm did I go to far to be believable? In all truthfulness the numbers have been down quite a bit over the past few years. According to one of the local F&G guys I'm friends with the cow hunts they had a few years ago took too many out and then the wolf pressure came in and helped push more out of the area. There is a reason there are always elk on Hwy 20 north of Mt Home.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsmallfield View Post
    Hey wolftalonID I'm all for the take a wolf for an elk game!!!
    I gave up hunting Montana because of the wolves being so bad and hunted near the border of Idaho. I have hunted on CO for over 20 and have had 2 encounters with them down there. I about threw my phone through the TV last fall when they were interviewing a tree hugger wanting to reintroduce the grey wolf to CO. My first encounter was 7-8 years ago trying to ambush a herd of elk that were coming down from feeding with the goats turned out we were not the only thing ambushing them 3 wolves screwed up a perfect ambush for us. You see more than one carcess in a day you can bet they are there.