Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    WY is one that I plan on putting in points for as soon as I can. Friend of mine that I have been talking to and getting info from is wanting us to do a backpack hunt there in 2016 so I'm putting in for points and he has for a few years so hopefully we will get drawn for 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    While I do put in for PP in 3 states, I also think you can have some really good hunts with OTC tags or areas that are not premium units. I try to look for areas that are difficult to hunt and then really learn the area. I save my PPs for a chance at the high end units. I would hate to have to wait until I had a lot points before I decided to hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Where do you live Luke? I agree with others that WY has as much or more to offer as any western state. Idaho and Colorado have some good OTC opportunities but scouting and getting to know the areas is very helpful. Idaho works well for me because it is close enough I can spend some time there. General tags in MT can be good too but knowing the area is also important there and its to expensive now to me. Colorado has some good hunts you can draw with just a few points too. Other then Nevada elk and trophy species in my home state I look for units I can draw with 3-5 points and I try to never get more then 5 points anywhere. I apply in CO, WY, ID, NV
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Musket man I live in central missouri

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I was you I'd be looking at CO & WY to hunt every year or every other year. I don't think applying in multiple states for "trophy" tags has as good of a Return on investment as it used to. Maybe pick a few hard to get tags for something to look forward to, then focus on places you can hunt routinely and learn about. That's just my opinion fwiw. I'm like a lot of others trying to burn the points I have in other states and dropping out of several due to the price increases and the horrendous draw odds. I'm not as trophy oriented as a lot of other guy's so it might be easier for me to get out of the points game... at least to some degree. I'll alway's apply for Wyoming Elk, Deer, & Antelope and everything in Colorado.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree I would concentrate on units you can hunt every few years in CO and WY. They have some good opportunities and are 2 of the closer western states for you.
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If your new to the game you may want to look into Idaho or new mexico. You will be just as likely to draw a tag as anyone else on this forum being that there are no preference points in those states. These states are hard to draw premium units but there are a lot of units that are easier to draw. If you study the draw odds you can draw in your first year and have half the crowd or less than a Colorado otc tag. Just something to think about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My hope and plan is to go with points in both CO and Wy and hunt one one year and the other the next if I can. But not sure how feasible that really is but that would be great lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Downing View Post
    My hope and plan is to go with points in both CO and Wy and hunt one one year and the other the next if I can. But not sure how feasible that really is but that would be great lol

If you apply for deer and elk in CO and deer, elk, antelope in WY and stick to units you can draw with around 3 points you should have a good chance at drawing atleast 1 tag every year.
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Downing View Post

I think that's a great idea and totally feasible. Don't forget black bear, and I'd apply for antelope in CO too! You could throw your hat in on some trophy New Mexico hunts just to spice it up. Draw odds stink but it's not to expensive to apply. All 3 of these states would be as close as any for you which is always nice.