Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Utah Elk Tag Drawn - But now in a debacle

I'm not sure where to begin, but my dad and I have been putting in for different elk hunts in different states and Utah has been one of them. Evidently I didn't do enough research and missed one huge details about one of the places we have been putting in for. My dad just drew the Meadowville Cache Unit HUNT# 3033. The way it is looking the unit has a very high success for harvest, but appears to have no public access. This is where my huge oversight has come in. We are out of state from Texas and do not know anyone in Utah. With most or all of the public land in this unit being private, how do I go about accessing some of these landowners in order for my dad to have a shot at hunting with this tag?

Any idea if there is any public land in this unit? Any recommendations of who to contact for private land access?

Thanks ahead of time,
    Jason

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Hi Jason,

There is another option you might not be aware of. If you dad has several years invested building bonus points, he may want to turn the tag in to Utah Division of Wildlife, and get his bonus points restored. This has been an option in the past, so you would have to verify that it still is. I believe he would lose the tag fee, but if there is no place to hunt, it may be worth doing as you at least get the points restored.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Ouch!! Meadowville is tough if you don't have permission or the $$$ to buy you way on to Private land. As mentioned by UH you can turn the tag back in and get your points back.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've got some maps ordered that will show the location of the public land and from the people I have talked to, there appears to be more public land in this unit then what people think. I've seen some maps that weren't real detailed, but I would be willing to bet there is close to 5,000 acres of BLM Land in this unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got my maps in today and there is tons of public land through the BLM and some State Parks in this unit. I thought there was only 200 - 300 acres the way people were talking. But I bet there's 30,000 plus acres of BLM and State Parks. I think we should have plenty of places to hunt. I wonder why more people don't know about this BLM land?

Actually from what I just counted on the map, there are over 110 Sections of BLM land in this unit.
    Last edited by 338ultra; 06-09-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: more information

Thanks
    Congratulations
    338ultra: Be sure you have access to this public ground. I don't know much about Utah but I know Colorado has a lot of BLM ground that is land locked by private that public hunters cannot access (well unless they come in by helicopter) this could be the reason that people stay out of it. However, if there are in fact 110 sections of BLM there should be some places to hunt, I would just be careful with how many animals use that public ground and where it is at. It is just a huge investment in both draw time and money to have this hunt flop. Do the research now so if you need to you can still turn back the tag.
    Support Hunt of a Lifetime, granting hunting and fishing dreams to kids with terminal or life-threatening illnesses. [www.huntofalifetime.org]

Hunt hard and live with no regrets!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    338ultra: I'd open up a dialog with "gon4elk" I notice that his location is shown as the "Cache Valley, Utah". I'm sure he knows what's going on there. Also get to know the biologist and game officer for the area. As Liv2HntBigBullz said, you could invest a lot of time and money and get there and find the elk really cannot even be accessed from public land. I have heard too many times guys who end up in units and are just frustrated seeing all the game on private. Having public land that is accessible and having public land that holds game are often not one in the same.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Success?

338ultra: Did your dad do the hunt on the Meadowville Cache? If so how was the hunt?