Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sab View Post

Whoa there, partner. There's a big difference between chopping the nails with a lineman's pliers and going down to the salon for a "pedi"! I hereby revoke your man card for that statement!
    Luckily I made a couple copies of my man card!!!

I probably couldnt find a salon to touch my feet anyway

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    It only gets revoked if they yell "Pick Color" when you walk through the door and you go with a pastel pink.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    My top items (in order) are:
    1) Good, sturdy boots
    2) Good, high quality merino wool socks
    3) Duct tape
    4) Moleskin (when the above three fail).

I have a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabbles that have given me issues for the past three years on the back heel of both feet. Did you know that they can "punch out" the heel some and get rid of the rubbing? I didn't know that till the ISE this year, and since my boots were due for a resoling anyway, I'm going to have them punch out the heel too. I can't wait to get them back and try it out!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've found that the most important step 1 in prevent blistering, losing toenails, and beating up your feet is to go to a shop (like REI) get your feet fitted to a proper boot, and have the sales person examine the fit. I did this before going on a 35 mile 3 day hike on the John Muir trail in Sequioa National Park. I went with three other guys, all of whom are avid hikers and all three had wrong fitting footwear for the hike. I was the only one who didn't lose toe nails and get blisters. I also use baby powder for my feet and preventing jock itch along with super glue for any bad cuts or severe blistering (I'll generally let the blister dry out, wash it, neosporene, dry, then super glue with some sort of bandaid over it). Second biggest step for me is spending the extra money on high quality merino wool socks or performance blended socks (depends on the hiking, distance, weather, etc). I usually hike around southern CA on the temp changes are the biggest factor when hiking out here, especially if long distance backpacking. Best bet is to bring a variety because excessive sweating in your boots will lead to blistering (unless you're stopping frequently, which will ruin the pace of your trip). Lastly, duct tape, hands down. I've used medical tape, hockey tape, electrical tape, etc while hiking/climbing/backpacking and duct tape is by far the strongest. If you need to use tape then bring along the kind that is multifunctional, it could save your life.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thegarbrah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    OK, Someone had to ask........how are you using the duct tape......I am having this really bad visual of some guy hoofing it along with his foot wrapped in duct tape and his boots slung over his shoulder

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts
    Over the top of a developing blister

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    What can't you do with duct tape, lol? http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/Taping-for-Blisters.html

I have put it over the moleskin so that it doesn't rip the blistered skin off, that is not so pleasant. I will have to try to put in on a developing blister, that is a good idea. The hair comes off with it, but citrus juice when you get home takes it off pretty nicely or soaking it in water sometimes works. I have only had to do the duct tape thing once thankfully.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 11-17-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 2 Posts
    There is a lot of good advice on here and I think that good dry socks are key for me as well!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    What can't you do with duct tape, lol? http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/Taping-for-Blisters.html

I have put it over the moleskin so that it doesn't rip the blistered skin off, that is not so pleasant. I will have to try to put in on a developing blister, that is a good idea. The hair comes off with it, but citrus juice when you get home takes it off pretty nicely or soaking it in water sometimes works. I have only had to do the duct tape thing once thankfully.

holy cow....well I guess you learn something new everyday.....that would have been helpful to know about 30 years ago when I hiked the Washington let of the Pacific Crest Trail.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Wow, that is a hike. I just looked up that trail through Washington. That looks like it could cause a few blisters. That is really cool.