Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Waterproof lightweight boots

I've been running Merrill boots for about 8 years but they've lost their ability to build a waterproof boot so my last pair is just that. I pick light boots to protect a bad knee. I need something new that won't soak up water and will keep me on track, snow, rain... whatever. What are you wearing that's light and water tight?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Be careful going too light. The lighter they are, the less support they likely have.

I had pretty good luck with Cabelas "Full Draw". They are really light, but they were tough on my feet as soon as I had any weight on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yea... I don't know what the Merrill boots weighed. . Probably right about 3 lbs or less and that's about right for me. Vibrant or some other healthy tread. Biggest thing is water tight and stable. Nothing worse than being wet and therefore cold on a hunt. Sure there are some $400 boots out for someone. . But I'd like to find something in that same $180 range

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Waterproof lightweight boots

Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    Be careful going too light. The lighter they are, the less support they likely have.

I had pretty good luck with Cabelas "Full Draw". They are really light, but they were tough on my feet as soon as I had any weight on.
    I love the full draws for a super lightweight waterproof boot. You are correct about the pounding your feet take if you have any weight on your back. I rarely use them for big game hunting. I use them for chukar hunting, they stick to rocks like glue and for the price you can buy a new pair every year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I buy my boots at REI so I can return without a hassle, and water test after every hunt. I've never had a Gore-tex boot last thru a single year. My current boots, Salomon Quest 4d's have lasted the longest; this years 2 week archery hunt and a week long antelope hunt with zero rain on those hunts. They did make it thru my 24hr water test though which is a miracle.
    Gore-tex is about as tough as tissue paper so make sure you trim your nails way back and I like to put a little bevel on mine to keep any sharp edge from getting to the bootie and membrane. LOL
    I've been thru Danners, vasque breeze, lowa renegades, merril to name a few.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks WP. Yea. Fortunately we have an REI here. Miracle. I'll stop by and see what they have. Yea. Seems or should I say seams that those gore-tex liners are getting thinner and thinner. Manufacturer issues. My old Merrill boots went two years for me... but not anymore. I can't afford another test fail @ 10000 ft!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    North Face makes one called the "Chiklat" (don't trust my spelling). Its the one I'm looking at for next year. They are about $120 bucks. I was impressed by the the quality feel. They are light, waterproof and the sole has some flex to it. I hunt timber a lot and I want to be able to feel a stick under my boot before it snaps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    I buy my boots at REI so I can return without a hassle, and water test after every hunt. I've never had a Gore-tex boot last thru a single year. My current boots, Salomon Quest 4d's have lasted the longest; this years 2 week archery hunt and a week long antelope hunt with zero rain on those hunts. They did make it thru my 24hr water test though which is a miracle.
    Gore-tex is about as tough as tissue paper so make sure you trim your nails way back and I like to put a little bevel on mine to keep any sharp edge from getting to the bootie and membrane. LOL
    I've been thru Danners, vasque breeze, lowa renegades, merril to name a few.
    I am with WapitiBob if you hunt hard and put a lot of miles on a pair of boots they never seem to last long for me either. Gore-tex might actually not be a strong as tissue! I am on my second pair of Salomon Quest 4d's and love them for comfort and stability with weight. Both of mine have started to leak after the first year. I figure after wearing them for work all year and logging over 100 miles each September-October beating the crap out of them I can't ask for much more. REI is a good place to get them for sure.