Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 7 Posts
    12.41 mile run this morning down into a canyon and back up so some decent elevation change at least for around here. 8:59 avg pace which is my target right now for my long runs. My running streak is now at 11 days in a row averaging 6.8 miles per day over that time. Doing a lot more speed work during the week preparing for a 10K race coming up on September 13th. Should work out pretty good for getting me in shape for my mountain goat hunt starting September 20th!

It's interesting seeing some of you guys posting your runs, pretty much where I was about 3 years ago, my goal that year was to be able to run 6 miles in under an hour and I had to work pretty hard to get there. Now that would be just a very easy run. If you stick with it you will see results.

2. The Following User Says Congratulations to npaden For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    Nice npaden!! Dont think I could do the 12miles in that time but I will do what I can that is for sure!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    7 mile hike through Hocking Vally on Saturday and 6 miles bike trek through BarkCamp State Park trails on Tuesday.
    Hit the weights inbetween. Making a run at a few National weight lifting records if training holds together. :-)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hey guys, I just found this Thread. I've been hiking alot in the mountains around my house at the base of Pikes Peak all summer. I hiked the Barr Trail up Pikes Peak a couple of weeks ago ... about 13 miles and +8000ft up. So far I'm down from 217lbs to 200lbs. Should dip below 200 very soon. This morning I did about 5 miles on the Pikes Peak hwy before dawn.

6. The Following User Says Congratulations to Winchester For This Post:

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 8 Posts
    All right time to post up some pictures from the Heart Mountain hike. I have to say, even with a light pack that trip was a lot more than I expected. 7 miles of switchbacks with about 2500 feet of elevation gain.

Before the hike we were all ready to go.

Here is Dan Turvey working towards the goal.. His back has been giving him fits and on this day it really flared up. We are hoping that it doesn't put a damper on his hunting season too much.

Here is Brandon at the top, pretty good view if I must say so myself.

As we were coming down the mountain Brandon and I were discussing how we don't want to lose all of the gains we have made over the last few months. Even though the challenge may be over we are thinking that this might be an annual thing. What do you guys think? Should we open up a thread like this every spring for encouragement and discussion?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 6 Posts
    Yes I think that is a great idea. I'm getting on the training for my hunts on the 1st of Sept. Not to concerned about loosing a bunch of weight but more getting my legs and lungs ready for the hikes. Endurance is very important to me so that's what I train for. The weight comes off just from the exercise.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 7 Posts
    In my opinion it's WAY easier to STAY in shape than it is to GET in shape. Probably a lot healthier too.

8.11 miles for me this morning with 5 X 1K intervals with 500m recoveries. My split pace on the fast intervals was 7:02, 7:02, 7:00, 7:04 and 6:55 pace.

I hit 100 miles of running logged in August yesterday which made the 30th consecutive month that I've run at least 100 miles. When I broke my collarbone in February I almost broke my streak but I pounded out some miles with my arm in a sling to keep it going.

I wish I had some trails to work in some real elevation gains like that hike you guys went on. I just have to settle for my one little canyon that I live on for my elevation work. It's about 10% of what you guys did.
    Last edited by npaden; 08-21-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    Yes I definitely think it's a great idea to keep it going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by npaden View Post
    In my opinion it's WAY easier to STAY in shape than it is to GET in shape. Probably a lot healthier too.

8.11 miles for me this morning with 5 X 1K intervals with 500m recoveries. My split pace on the fast intervals was 7:02, 7:02, 7:00, 7:04 and 6:55 pace.

I hit 100 miles of running logged in August yesterday which made the 30th consecutive month that I've run at least 100 miles. When I broke my collarbone in February I almost broke my streak but I pounded out some miles with my arm in a sling to keep it going.

I wish I had some trails to work in some real elevation gains like that hike you guys went on. I just have to settle for my one little canyon that I live on for my elevation work. It's about 10% of what you guys did.
    I will have to agree with you on that. My job is very physical so I get plenty of exercise through the year but not the kind I need for hiking.

Staying in shape would be much more beneficial for sure.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    staying in shape is a lifetime thing. it doesn't come and go. it just goes. Make the life long decision to stay in shape. Exercise year round.

now I do admit, I take December off, but the other 11 months, eat right and excersice.