Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Region H

Well here's the deal, a few of us applied for second choice F muley tag. We are kinda thinking of using our points and go for H. Besides the wilderness areas there is still alot we could hunt, trying to decide which unit to head for. I have been looking on Google earth and all the areas all look so good, havent been able to get a hold of the biologist yet, looking for a unit with very few roads so we can pack in and hunt. Could anyone help me out and give me a little advice or a good unit to look closer into? Anything is appreciated, Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    how many points do you have?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    F can be drawn with no PPs & H with 1PP, so if they have more than that they'll be giving up some valuable PPs if either Region is put as a first choice.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 04-10-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have 4 the others have less. Probably gonna take two to draw h this year, not sure and I wouldn't put f as first choice. Just thinking to hunt h just in case they have a bad winter next year than I'd be waiting another 4 or 5 years. Probably not going to draw a limited quota any time soon, so may as well go huntin! Do you think it's a bad idea? About the only LQ unit we could draw is 37, anyone know how that area is doing? Thought it wasn't real good, but not for sure. Any other areas worth diving into with 4 points. The others have 2. We applied as a group so we would have 3 average I guess. Figured maybe h would be a good choice. Any advice? Good or bad?
    Last edited by mnhoundman; 04-10-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't know if this is helpful information http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/MapsAn...apArchive.aspx

Last year was a sever to exceptional drought, so I am not sure some of the older bucks did very well. The 37 area is dry on average.
    http://www.wrds.uwyo.edu/sco/climate...ipitation.html, so drought conditions are particularly hard felt I think.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/riw/?n=drought
    but things are improving so far this year. Especially in the Wind River/Big Horn drainage, so maybe things will be better this year.

The south half of H looks like it is still having a dry year. The area around H can get pretty rugged. I would say it depends on how you are hunting, horseback or backpack I would go with H, drive to a spot for spot and stalk, 37. Don't know if that helps, others have good opinions and are pretty experienced.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks! Going to do a pack in hunt. That's kinda why I was thinking h, maybe a little better weather in September than October. I was thinking maybe 152, 153, 154, or 156. They all look good!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How many are in your group? What is the average of all of your points? H produces some big bucks but I think alot of it is pretty tough country and it has some wilderness. Good LE units are hard to find without max points or close to it. G is another option but it sounds like you guys dont have quite enough points to draw it. It sounds to me like you guys are in the middle of do we wait and build another point or 2 or do we put in for H that we know we can draw. One thing about H is you should be able to draw it every other year. I think it comes down to if you want to use the points this year or wait a year or 2 and hunt G or maybe a LE unit.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you have 4PPs and the others have 2, you can't have an average of 3. If there are 4 of you, your average would be 2.5. If there are 3 of you, your average would be 2.66. If you don't mind using your 4PPs, then change your first choice to H on your applications, pack in as far as you can to get away from as any people as you can, and have a fun hunt whether you fill all your tags or not.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 04-10-2014 at 09:29 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys! We would have 3 points average. We plan on finding the most secluded area and get in as far as we can and have an awesome time in some awesome country and hopefully fill a tag ta boot! My luck if I wait next year for g they will have a bad winter or something and there I will sit. Or point creep will hit hard and I may not catch it, who knows, just need to get out and hunt the high country. Been waiting to long.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhoundman View Post
    Thanks guys! We would have 3 points average. We plan on finding the most secluded area and get in as far as we can and have an awesome time in some awesome country and hopefully fill a tag ta boot! My luck if I wait next year for g they will have a bad winter or something and there I will sit. Or point creep will hit hard and I may not catch it, who knows, just need to get out and hunt the high country. Been waiting to long.

I repeat that the only way you could have an average of 3PPs would be if there is only one other guy that has 2PPs and you two partied together. Wyoming does not round up or down, so you would have to have a fraction of a PP as an average if there are more than two of you and the others have 2 PPs.