Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colo Point Banking

I'm not sure if you are aware but the point banking issue has returned in Colorado. I was unaware of this until late in the 5 year plan process. If you enjoy hunting Colo on a regular basis you may want to get involved! This could dramatically make it tougher to draw tags in Colo in the coming years....especially tags that take only a few pref pts to draw. If you think point creep is bad now wait until this is re-introduced!

I found out that the CBA is supporting this issue without any input or explanation to it's members. If you have a chance to contact the CBA and the CPW in regard to this issue please do so! There are some interesting posts on the Monstermuley website in the Colo forum. The number of years it takes to draw tags in Colo may have just taken a giant leap in the wrong direction...without you even knowing about it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jimss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jimss View Post
    I'm not sure if you are aware but the point banking issue has returned in Colorado. I was unaware of this until late in the 5 year plan process. If you enjoy hunting Colo on a regular basis you may want to get involved! This could dramatically make it tougher to draw tags in Colo in the coming years....especially tags that take only a few pref pts to draw. If you think point creep is bad now wait until this is re-introduced!

I found out that the CBA is supporting this issue without any input or explanation to it's members. If you have a chance to contact the CBA and the CPW in regard to this issue please do so! There are some interesting posts on the Monstermuley website in the Colo forum. The number of years it takes to draw tags in Colo may have just taken a giant leap in the wrong direction...without you even knowing about it!
    I have been aware of it and written several time to the Commission and the Department. I have also brought it up several times here and attached a link to comment to the commission. I knew that the point issues was a topic with a lot of interest in this years discussions for the next 5 year structure. We still need to get comments to them asap.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I have been aware of it and written several time to the Commission and the Department. I have also brought it up several times here and attached a link to comment to the commission. I knew that the point issues was a topic with a lot of interest in this years discussions for the next 5 year structure. We still need to get comments to them asap.
    Seems like mostly nonresidents in the 5-15 point range would be interested in point banking. I don't know anyone like that . . . .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    Seems like mostly nonresidents in the 5-15 point range would be interested in point banking. I don't know anyone like that . . . .
    I know a non-resident with 2 that's not for it......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Take a look at the following CPW website. http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hun...efPtsbyRes.pdf

You'll notice that around 60 to 75% of the total deer and elk applicants only have 2 or less pref pts. The majority of hunters in Colo only have a few pref pts and prefer to draw tags more often. Point banking would make it take longer for the majority of hunters in Colo to draw tags. It could be called "point leaping" in units that currently take 0 to 10 pref pts to draw.....HORRIBLE IDEA!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here is an interesting post from the MM website:

Point creep will by the CPW's own projections increase low to mid tier units by 2-3 points.

So current 0 point units will jump up to 1-3
    current 1 point units 3-4
    current 2 point units 4-5
    current 3 point units 5-6
    Current 4 point units 6-8

So on and so on and this is the CPW's projections! That is for deer there are so many elk points out there that the above #'s will jump by 1-2 points or more.

Also I talk with a lot of folks and for you that dont think point banking is coming back think again. Both the outfitters association and CBA are pushing hard for it. This tried and failed idea is getting the push it needs to come back....

Let the CPW know how you feel or if you dont have a ton of points get ready to either buy a LO voucher or give up hunting your 0 point unit every year as soon that unit will take 2-3 points to draw. If you dont have points and point banking comes back it will be 5 years until you draw a current 1-2 pt unit...

Again this is the CPW's plan and their goal is that it will take more points to draw. It is ignorant to think that point banking will not slam the everyday hunter who hunts and does not build points. In reality it will as there are a ton of points holders out there with 8-12 points that will never draw 44 4th and are looking to jump off the point ship.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Excuse my ignorance- what is "point banking"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robberbaronista For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I am not mistaken...point banking allows you to keep whatever points were not needed to draw that particular hunt. For example, if I have 10 points, but the hunt I draw only needed 5 I get to keep 5 points for future use.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    If I am not mistaken...point banking allows you to keep whatever points were not needed to draw that particular hunt. For example, if I have 10 points, but the hunt I draw only needed 5 I get to keep 5 points for future use.
    That is what we had a few years ago, but it only lasted 1 or 2 years if I remember.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    That is what we had a few years ago, but it only lasted 1 or 2 years if I remember.
    If I remember right it was only one year. I don't remember any drastic riprocussions either. It seems like most guys didn't bite. If this does happen it will be interesting to see how it affects the draws. I wouldn't think it would affect the 0-2 point areas as much as the 5-10 point areas. I wouldn't doubt if it does little good either way.