Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    If I remember right it was only one year. I don't remember any drastic riprocussions either. It seems like most guys didn't bite. If this does happen it will be interesting to see how it affects the draws. I wouldn't think it would affect the 0-2 point areas as much as the 5-10 point areas. I wouldn't doubt if it does little good either way.
    I think you are right.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am in favor of point banking. It will do a lot to reduce the point creep inthe higher demand units, especially if employed for the entire 5 year structure. All the doom and gloom by Jimss is not warranted. Of course everybody has their own specific self -interest, and every rule, and every rule change effects somebody negatively (and others positively). With 22 elk points I don't intend to use point banking. My son has 10 points, and may very well choose a "lesser" unit to retain some points. As I said, the effects are different for everybody. Without changes to the system, point creep will only worsen, and the entire system will likely be changed after it collapses under its own problems.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Point banking will dramatically increase the points it will require to draw the lower and mid tier draw units and will have no impact on the top tier units. When you draw a tag you should lose all of your points. All of this hype is over 7 elk units.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    Point banking will dramatically increase the points it will require to draw the lower and mid tier draw units and will have no impact on the top tier units. When you draw a tag you should lose all of your points. All of this hype is over 7 elk units.
    I keep hearing of the negative affect on lower and mid tier units but haven't heard any real data that supports it. It's bound to have a little affect but I wonder how much? I don't remember there being much of any affect last time??? If anybody has some real numbers to support the claim that would be nice. I personally think there's a lot of hype and even if it does go into affect hardly no one will take advantage of it therefore the affect will be minimal at best.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Im also in favor of point banking and i think it must be given 5 years to see how it affects all draw units. It may affect some units but I believe that after 5 years, it could alliviate a lot of the point creep going on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just don't think the top point holders are going to burn them. The guys I know with over 20 deer points are going to sit it out until 4th seasons come back in the Basin. The mid tier guys may burn them on decent units if they have a shot at drawing again in a few years instead of starting back from scratch. The 0-2pt units should be in more danger from ppl resetting to 0 bc that's all they can try to draw. (For deer)... Those same guys have similar points for elk and are looking at the 2/201 units like everyone else with no intention of going elsewhere. Too cheap to hunt bulls in other areas of the state just for fun hunts.
    Last edited by packmule; 04-10-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    The guys who will go for point banking would be guys like my son with 11 NR points for elk who are in no man's land as for as the top tags. He can't catch the top 5 units but could draw 2 or 3 good tags with his points. Those are the scenarios that will create point creep on lower point units.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    UH, you could go for 61, bank some points and hunt one of those units with him.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Agree with UH on this one. Guys in the middle, if they are smart and can't get the top tags for two decades, will break their PPs apart and do 2 or 3 hunts with them. That is bound to up the lower unit requirements in PPs to some extent, but who knows what it will be until it happens.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Agree with UH on this one. Guys in the middle, if they are smart and can't get the top tags for two decades, will break their PPs apart and do 2 or 3 hunts with them. That is bound to up the lower unit requirements in PPs to some extent, but who knows what it will be until it happens.
    That's my thoughts too. Although I think it will take several years to effect the point creep in a positive way if at all.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley