Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post

With regards to your question on the advantages of point systems: None
    You overlooked one thing....$$$$ to the state.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trkytrack2 View Post
    In answer to drawing a tag using your PP.......if you have 10 PP and you apply for a unit that takes 5 PP to draw it will take you 5 PP plus 1 extra PP per point banking to draw that unit; (5+1). You would then have 4 PP left from your 10 PP.
    The reason that no one noticed any effect the last time they did point banking was because it was done only one year and then scrapped. It will have minimal effect the first year it is implicated but the more years it is in effect, the harder it will become for the lower tier units to be drawn UNLESS you have the PP to use for them as the PP increase to draw them. OTC units will see an increase in hunters as guys with not enough PP to hunt the lower tier units will turn to them in order to be able to hunt every year. Point banking is a very bad idea that will only help a few while hurting many.

If a unit takes 5 in 2014 it will no doubt with the point leap projected by the CPW under point banking be 7-8 in 2015.. That is if it is deer now elk you will jump 3 points in one year for sure..

So lets say deer you will spend 7+1 or 8 of your points leaving (for what you could have drawn this year with 5) you with 2 and unable to draw another tag that 5 year cycle.. Your 2 points will be saved ADDING more to point creep. Again if you only have 2 points you will be statistically eliminated from drawing any tag for this 5 year structure

I dont have a dog in this fight as I get a LO vouchers every year from friends and have points saved. You low point holders will be proper screwed if banking comes back..

If someone with 10 points thinks that they will get 5 ok hunts but that is not the case even if you have 10 points and choose a current 1 point unit.. After the planed 2 pt leap in one year it will take you 3 points to draw a current 1 pt unit.. So 3+1 = 4 or you will burn 4 points for what used to be a 1 point unit and only get 2 hunts for 10 points while leaving you with 2 points that will ADD to point leap.

So much fantasy is out there but if you have folks hunting 2x, 3x or 4x in a row then someone will not be hunting 2x, 3x, 4x years in a row as they are not giving more licenses for deer.
    Last edited by ColoradoV; 04-12-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoV View Post
    If a unit takes 5 in 2014 it will no doubt with the point leap projected by the CPW under point banking be 7-8 in 2015.. That is if it is deer now elk you will jump 3 points in one year for sure..

So lets say deer you will spend 7+1 or 8 of your points leaving (for what you could have drawn this year with 5) you with 2 and unable to draw another tag that 5 year cycle.. Your 2 points will be saved ADDING more to point creep. Again if you only have 2 points you will be statistically eliminated from drawing any tag for this 5 year structure

I dont have a dog in this fight as I get a LO vouchers every year from friends and have points saved. You low point holders will be proper screwed if banking comes back..

If someone with 10 points thinks that they will get 5 ok hunts but that is not the case even if you have 10 points and choose a current 1 point unit.. After the planed 2 pt leap in one year it will take you 3 points to draw a current 1 pt unit.. So 3+1 = 4 or you will burn 4 points for what used to be a 1 point unit and only get 2 hunts for 10 points while leaving you with 2 points that will ADD to point leap.

So much fantasy is out there but if you have folks hunting 2x, 3x or 4x in a row then someone will not be hunting 2x, 3x, 4x years in a row as they are not giving more licenses for deer.
    I basically agree with this situation and how it will play out. I do think that given at least 5 years, you will see that there will be less applicants with a ton of points. Yes, There still will be the hunters holding out for the big units but on the whole I believe that after 5 to seven years you will see things level out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    UH, you could go for 61, bank some points and hunt one of those units with him.
    Packmule, I'm burning my points on 61 muzzy this year. I have been keeping my eyes on this muzzleloader season for a few years with the later September dates and darker moon phase. It also fit our schedule really well. We should have a week+ of scouting and be able to hunt the whole 9 day season. It should be a very fun hunt from all the reports I've heard.

With 400+ guys in my point pool and above vying for a small handful of tags in the top units, I didn't want to take the risk of a change to the preference system. Besides, I turn 50 this year and I have a lot of points to burn in the next 10 years.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 04-12-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post
    I believe all of jims's assessment is correct.

I have 18 elk points and am definitely one of the guys dying to "jump off the point ship"........especially with the new $40/species point fees. I view my points as worthless right now. All I can draw is a raghorn unit 76 archery tag! Hell I've stalked up on bigger bulls in 0 point units. With the point creep I will never even inch up to a 61 tag, so there's I'm squarely in no man's land. With a hell of a lot of other guys. We will all bail to split up our points for multiple lesser demand units. If anything I think it will be worse than jimss claims. There are two 0/1 point units I'd like to hunt now, and there are many guys with the same idea. If enough guys like me try to burn them, I would not be surprised if the 0/1 point units even jumped to 5 or 6 the first year they do point banking. I may even sit out the first transition year waiting to see what units take to draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    If they do go to "banking" I can see one advantage from my point of view. Lots of cow tags tag 0 to 2 pts in some really good units that I have never hunted. I could draw a cow tag, save points and really get to know a new unit so when the time comes for a bull tag I will have already done some scouting while I'm hunting a cow. I've tried by using 2nd choice for these tags and usually can't get a tag without any points.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 04-12-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Packmule, I'm burning my points on 61 muzzy this year. I have been keeping my eyes on this muzzleloader season for a few years with the later September dates and darker moon phase. It also fit our schedule really well. We should have a week+ of scouting and be able to hunt the whole 9 day season. It should be a very fun hunt from all the reports I've heard.

With 400+ guys in my point pool and above vying for a small handful of tags in the top units, I didn't want to take the risk of a change to the preference system. Besides, I turn 50 this year and I have a lot of points to burn in the next 10 years.
    Good Luck to you on the hunt, UH.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 3 Posts
    The biggest effect on point banking will be for the folks who have been BANNED FROM BUYING POINTS BY LAW...

Kids who have not gained points will be statistically cut out of the draw for any draw unit over the next 5 years under point banking.I was talking with a friends 13 year old son and he was heart broken when he learned the 1-2 point unit he hoped to draw to hunt mule deer will take 4-5 points under banking. If reinstated he will be 19 or 20 before he will be able to hunt..

I wonder why the CBA (Colorado Bowhunters Association) would support a position that will again statistically eliminate young hunters from hunting deer the next 5 year structure. The CBA essentially attacking youth hunters who have not had the ability to build points due to the law is simply greedy and pathetic.

Let the CPW know and after hearing what the CBA is pushing I will not be renewing as attacking kids is unexceptable in my book.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoV View Post
    The biggest effect on point banking will be for the folks who have been BANNED FROM BUYING POINTS BY LAW...

Kids who have not gained points will be statistically cut out of the draw for any draw unit over the next 5 years under point banking.I was talking with a friends 13 year old son and he was heart broken when he learned the 1-2 point unit he hoped to draw to hunt mule deer will take 4-5 points under banking. If reinstated he will be 19 or 20 before he will be able to hunt..

I wonder why the CBA (Colorado Bowhunters Association) would support a position that will again statistically eliminate young hunters from hunting deer the next 5 year structure. The CBA essentially attacking youth hunters who have not had the ability to build points due to the law is simply greedy and pathetic.

Let the CPW know and after hearing what the CBA is pushing I will not be renewing as attacking kids is unexceptable in my book.
    I think this is a little extreme. I don't think youth hunters are being attacked. There are still many oppurtunities for youths to hunt deer and other animals if they choose. Youths are not really banned by law from buying points, it is just the rules and regulations that have been put into place and have been that way for many years. I am not a memeber of the CBA, by the way, just a hunter who realizes that it is a problem for all ages, young to old.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post
    Every time any state makes changes in point systems it hurts someone. These schemes never stop evolving. What a nightmare. Best to just go 90R/10NR random draw and be done with it.