Thread: Need Tripod !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need Tripod !

There are lots of threads on Spotting scopes, and only a couple on tripods. I'm getting a Swaro 80mm STM so now that you know this, what would be a good tripod to stick under this? I'd like one thats not to heavy but I don't want my scope to be shaking all over the place either. Does anyone have experience using this scope. I'm interested in any tripod (Swaro, Vanguard, Manfrotto, Outdoorsman, etc.) I would love any advice, since I can't go anywhere to try them out, sporting goods stores usually only have one or two brands. I don't want to spend a butt load of money, but I don't want anything thats gonna disappoint me either.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SDbowhunter View Post
    I don't want to spend a butt load of money, but I don't want anything thats gonna disappoint me either.
    Unfortunately, you get what you pay for... The previous threads on this subject list the top three or four tripod manufacturers IMO... The Slik, Gitzo or Outdoorsmans are about the best and lightest... You have a Swaro scope, dont put a sub-par/cheap tripod under it... The 80mm is heavier than most other scopes, so it'll need a sturdier platform than the cheapie tripods offer. Since you have an 80mm, you may not be backpacking with it since it's so heavy... In that case, you may not care about weight, so a Manfrotto or Swaro tripod might be fine. If you will be doing any packing, then the ones already listed in the other threads are the only ones worth it in my opinion... Happy hunting!
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks greylight, I was hoping to get your opinion. I know you use a 65mm and since the 80 is only 1/2 lb heavier i didn't figure it to be to much different, but I wasn't sure if you had any experience with any of the other manufactures, I know you use an outdoorsmans and that looks like a sweet piece. After ALOT of research I'm kinda leaning toward it. Just wondering if it has locks on the legs for different leg angles, or just open and closed. I like the twist cups for adjusting height than the lever style. I don't want to go cheap but I don't want to spend more than 250-400 on one, def not 600+ for a swaro or Gitzo.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    SD... The Ourdoorsmans does in fact have leg adjustments for increased or decreased relief... It articulates and locks in any position you could think up... My friend has a Gitzo and he likes it a lot... I am not as familiar with them but I know they are a winner for lot's of back country guys... The outdoorsmans won me over because they have a complete system, from small back country tripods to Large tripods you can use from the truck! The whole set is uniform and very well made IMO!
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This was posted on previous Thread and I thought it was a good review...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srKi4GeQ5Rc

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skybuster1329 View Post
    This was posted on previous Thread and I thought it was a good review...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srKi4GeQ5Rc
    Excellent review. I currently use a Slik Aluminum tripod (with Manfrotto ball head), and I think the 624 will be my next tripod purchase. One thing for SDbowhunter to remember is that his Swarovski's foot should fit in standard Manfrotto style heads without an adapter plate, so tripods that accept standard 3/8 threaded heads (like the three in the review) should be a priority.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    fantastic, that was another one of my questions I had