Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

bowhunting sight

Im wondering how many shoot a single pin sight and 5-7 pin sight. I currently have a five pin sight and was talking to a guy that has been using a single pin adjustment one. I sometimes have problems concentration on the correct pin while waiting for the deer to turn and keep saying to myself 20 30 40 to find the correct pin before i release, sometimes seem like the pins are in such a cluster for me sometimes. For example if you are standing next to a tree and have an elk come in and you range it does it take alot of time or motion to adjust that single pin to the correct yardage? Thats what my main concern is, is it going to take too much time to adjust. Thanks guys

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I use a 7 pin sight. I have contemplated the same thing about going to a single pin, but after talking to several different people that have used a 1 pin sight, I will stick with my 7 pin. The main thing that deters me from changing over is the fact that once you set the yardage and then draw, you are stuck at that yardage, unless you start to guess where to aim. It just doesn't seem practical in most situations, especially elk hunting, to have to keep adjusting the yardage on a single pin. Being able to stay at full draw and have every yardage you need right there, ready to go, is invaluable IMO. Now if I were using it for shooting in leagues I would go with a single pin.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    so are u just estimating the yardage he is at after you ranged him the first time and then if he trotts a bit or walks away a little ways?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts

bowhunting sight

I shot a 7 pin spot Hogg, now I use a single pin Hogg father. Also I leave my pin set at 40 yards. I practice that way so I know how high I have to aim or how low from 20-60. But if I have the time, I will range and then adjust.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a 7 pin Hogg father. Thinking of swapping to a 5 pin small housing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    do u like the single better? The pins seem like they are just to cluttered. I missed a deer last year during evening hours and was concentration on deer and then my pins and just kept taking my eye off the pins and had a tough time to get that pin just right before i released

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you shoot with a single pin look up an article by Darrin Cooper called trick pin. You set your pin at 50yds and can shoot from 20-40yds (depending on the speed of your bow) by aiming 12 inches low at all those yardages. Pretty interesting read.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I see too many people with multiple pin sights always practice at 20 yds and then when they have to shoot at longer yards under buck fever they use the wrong pin. I shoot 20 yards all winter long so during the summer I seldom shoot less than 30 yards.
    A few years back I called in an elk and when I pulled the bow back a grouse got up on the opposite side of the elk scaring him 15yards closer to me. Things happen to quick in elk country for a one pin sight on my bow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have tried a bunch of sights over the years and still prefer a 5 pin sight. As mentioned above I am one that doesn't like to guess with a single pin and sometimes you don't have time to reset the sight. On another subject for those that dont shoot at elevation. Your bows will shoot a little high so always re-zero your bows when you get to where you are going to hunt..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I run a 5 pin Hunter Hogg-It and love the sight, it's not real cluttered like the 7 pin would be for me. My close pin is set for 30 yrds and my long is at 70. In my opinion an adjustable single pin sight is just one more thing to worry about or fool with when yardages change. For example, if an animal moves 6 or 7 yards after you ranged him or a landmark near him you not only have to estimate the new yardage but also estimate pin placement, so your really guessing for both adjustments. With a fixed pin sight using the same scenario you would be estimating the new yardage but would know exactly what pin to use based on your estimated yardage.