Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    I have to say I don't mind the God part at all. I will say it seems alittle busy with all the background hoopla. It is very creative but I do like more of the pages being filled with story the effects.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think it looks cool but would only have one or two articles like that per issue.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks for the input guys, it's greatly appreciated. We are tinkering around a bit with this type of piece and it will only be in about 75% of the issues as a marquee piece and only one in the line of features in those issues. We felt we needed to take a step without knowing exactly where that step would fall and now we're looking for your input to guide us down the funnel. Look to EBJ 83 for something similar but with some of the things you guys have suggested incorporated into it. Keep it coming guys, we want to give you what you want.

In Cody's piece he took all of those pictures on his hunt, those are not photoshopped other than cutting a few things out. The designer and I were totally blown away when his images arrived in the office and we wanted to try something different. Those northern lights images are amazing! I did some research of the native cultures in that region and that is what native people called the northern lights or how they tried to explain them, thus my titling the piece that. I am a God-fearing man myself but felt it was apropos.

As far as guided vs DIY, most sheep hunts in Alaska (with two caveats, resident family guide or being in the military) are required to be guided by law and everything in Canada is required to be guided, doesn't get more simple than that. So for the guy wanting to hunt Dall's sheep who doesn't live there, he has no choice. And it only serves to follow that such a hunt won't be cheap. I know first hand that Cody saved up for a very long time to be able to go on this hunt. My hats off to him as I know how hard it is to keep the sheep hunt coffers full in the face of other life obligations.

Again, keep the constructive criticism coming. You've had some very helpful ideas thus far.
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's not that they aren't good pics, they just kind of clash with the other pics. There are some alternative for pics like those that are just too good to not pass up printing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's different , not bad ,I have no problem with pictures. I think it close to crowding the pages with too much !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 2 Posts
    My only critique would be on the second page where you have the text printed inside of the photos. As we are all taught to read and write from top to bottom and left to right, I find it sometimes confusing when the text is misplaced from its normal place. I have found myself reading other articles in different publications where they did things similar to this, and then halfway through when things didn't quite make sense I realized I was reading in the wrong place. IMO it would help to stagger the pics with text from top to bottom left to right, as I could see myself possibly reading the text in the middle picture first. Just my 2 cents, maybe I need more education.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Turvey, Jr View Post
    As far as guided vs DIY, most sheep hunts in Alaska (with two caveats, resident family guide or being in the military) are required to be guided by law and everything in Canada is required to be guided, doesn't get more simple than that. So for the guy wanting to hunt Dall's sheep who doesn't live there, he has no choice. And it only serves to follow that such a hunt won't be cheap. I know first hand that Cody saved up for a very long time to be able to go on this hunt. My hats off to him as I know how hard it is to keep the sheep hunt coffers full in the face of other life obligations.
    I completely understand, and I realize that post probably came across more judgemental than I meant it. I have no doubt that at some point in my life I will likely do a guided hunt, and I will probably still enjoy the heck out of it. I think for me it comes down to the reason I read the magazine, and that is to live vicariously through the folks that live out west and get to spend all year living in the country I love so much. My wife and I talk about making the move someday, hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

As for the format, I prefer more of the backstory, and I think with this format some of that gets left out. I want to here all of the detail of the 5-6 blown stalks, the storm that came in and how much it sucked to sit in a tent for 24hrs straight, and all of that other stuff that happens on a great hunt. Pictures do tell a thousand words, but they don't provide much context, and for me to put myself in the shoes of the story teller I need that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I thought overall it was a decent layout. The only thing was with the positioning of the story text making it somewhat cumbersome to read. Some simple suggestions would be to reverse the angle of the cropped black skyline on the first page so the text flows down and to the right making it more of a natural read, and the same sort of idea with the text in the pics along with adding some more contrast to the text vs pic.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    JJ, mn and lib...all very good points and noted. Thank you. Keep'em coming...
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 5 Posts
    It looks great, but I personally like less photo shopping. I like to see the background where the animals are taken, for me that's helps tell the story. With all the editing it's hard to know whats real in this layout, for all I know the background in these shots could be from an entire other photographer and/or from a totally differant area in the world. It looks more like an advertisement than an article, looks great, but it doesn't seem very realistic to me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post: