Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 6 Posts
    I think your traditional lay out is better. It seems like the text takes away from a great picture. Not that bad, just kinda like the other better!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    It's eye catching for sure! I don't care for the text in the pics as others have mentioned. HF does that all the time and it makes it hard to read sometimes. I don't know how everyone else feels but I've read so many trophy hunting stories that they are getting kind of boring. I personally am getting to where I would rather see more great pics and read shorter stories. Maybe I just get to many magazines?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, I got my issue of the actual magazine in the mail. I come from a place of thinking that it is good to try and create new things to stay innovative or stay on the cutting edge of your industry to keep customers buying and also wanting your service or product. To do otherwise leads over time in competitors passing you by most times and taking over your marketshare.

If this was a hunt I was on, I'd wonder how best in a creative way to use some of the astrophotography photos I took as part of showing and telling the story of my hunt. If I had seen the northern lights while out hunting and captured them on film, I'd have done something creative myself with the backgrounds perhaps. I'd want one at least for a photo for my wall at home, or my personal digital photo album in conjunction with the hunt photos. It was part of the experience and I'll gather there are not many hunters that will turn in astrophotography photos into a magazine from their hunting adventure. I say well done on the layout.

That being said, as others have already written, it is nice to see the kill of the hunt in the natural daytime background as the background too so I see both sides. I think the goal is bringing out the beauty, awesomeness, soul and emotion of the hunting adventure and experience. When that's done well in an article or story with the written words and photos it's a success at least in my book.
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 04-12-2014 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Typo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Root For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    Perhaps Eastman's could consider a publishing for just submitted photos like those: cool shots of live animals, scenics, story pics that the mag doesnt have room to print, etc.. Keep dead animals out so it's marketable to the non-hunting crowd as well. Maybe 1 special issue a yr, hard cover (coffee table edition) and it cost additional $. People would have to waive rights/royalties to photos if they choose to submit them, but a lot of amateurs would just to say they've been published. It may also get ppl to take better cameras to cover hunts that go in the mag. If run as a photo contest and gear give-away with social voting it'll get a lot of exposure from people trying to get votes. Just an idea I'm throwing out there with no clue on what the numbers would have to be for it to work.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks guys. Crazy thing is those are the backgrounds, the only thing we cut out was a very small portion of sky in a few shots as you can see and the one on the first page was a solid rock wall right behind Cody so we cut it away so you could see him better. I like the suggestions you guys have though, very helpful. We want to give you what you want. I have taken your suggestions into consideration and look to EBJ 83 for some of them to be incorporated in another piece. We will get that one up for your comments after we go to print.
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    im not really a fan of the cropping on one of the photos on the second page I like to see the sky as well as the mountains cropping at the skyline takes away from the image to me