Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

2014 Hunting Season Officially Started

The alarm rings and as soon as I get it shut off I hear the rain. Wind driven beating rain. My 2014 turkey season has officially began, or rather been postponed for a couple of hours at least. Can't do much about the weather. I get to enjoy a leisurely breakfast, read a few chapters of the book I'm currently undecided about and around 7:30am things clear up and out the door I go. Once I get to where I want to park, 20 minutes or so, I get my pack sorted(ditch the decoys since I really don't know where they'll be at this time of the day plus the unsettled weather means I'll probably want to cover some ground) and hike into where I want to be. Right off I'm into a decent sized herd of elk, somewhere around 15 animals(all cows as far I could tell and yearlings). I watch them for a while then circle around the ridge out of sight since I don't want to spook them. It's odd but I often see turkeys around elk so I didn't want a bunch of spooked elk running around. On my way up to the top of the ridge I came across what looked to be a flight path for turkeys launching themselves into roost trees, marked that on my GPS and carried on. Called for maybe 1/2 hour in one of their feeding areas, then moved back to the powerline until the rain started again. On my way back to the truck I ran into a different herd of elk slightly larger than the first. All in all a good day. Meant to head out in the afternoon to do some glassing for black bear but ended up doing some garden work and decorating Easter cookies with my daughters. Tomorrow is another day. Good luck to everyone.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Any pictures?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry no pictures, I don't usually take many pictures while I'm hunting. I take a few if I'm successful and while I'm snacking but I seldom have the camera out if I'm hunting. Even less often do I post pictures on the internet. I know, I know without pictures it didn't happen. You'll just have to take my word for it because you probably won't see many pictures from me.