Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    John,

I wouldn't hesitate use any of the scopes you mention but my favorite is the Leupold 4.5-14 VXIII. It will last you forever...period.

I personally would mount it on your 270. You would have a setup, (with proper bullets) that would take any animal in the lower 48 cleanly out to 500 yards. A quality 270 with good glass is hard to beat out west.

I would put your Burris on your 25-06 and use it for anything from coyotes through deer... Just my 2 cents.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for all the help so far. More Leupold votes than anything. The VXIII 4-14x is not to bad on the wallet either.

I also have a Remington 700 BDL DM 7mm rem mag that was made in the 2000s when they put that stupid lock in the bolt (the one a green key is used to operate), that is also ported, looks like factory but I'm not sure. It's new unfired, and I had that shiny BDL stock.

I may try a VX-III 4-14 on that and put an HS stock on it and have it for my dad or whoever for home or out west trips, and go with the swaro z3 on the 25-06.

I like having standardized equipment but I'm so tempted by all these different optics. I think there is some value in having equipment that has the same controls/operating mechanisms.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I could only have one scope I would only have a leupold vxIII 4-14x. Not bad on the wallet if your looking at swaro I guess!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to swampokie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree. The one I have on my Ruger M77 25-06 is my primary Deer and Antelope gun and I use one load that is just fantastic. Having said that, I sent the scope and all my load data to Leupold and had a ballistic turret made for it. It shoots sub moa out to 500 yds (that's the farthest out I'll shoot it). Couldn't ask for a better combo.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The two options you mentioned are very good scopes. No wrong choice there.
    I personally have used Leupold scopes for about 25+ years and I have been happy with them. I currently have a VX3 4.5-14 X 50 mm Long Range on my 7 mm rem mag. I had the custom shop install an M1 dial for elevation. I have been very happy with this setup. Very good resolution and very good low light performance, in my opinion.

Good Luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LaHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Of the ones you mentioned either would be fantastic. I prefer kahles or zeiss myself. I have a couple 3.5-10x44 zeiss conquests with z600 reticles and they seem nearly perfect for Oklahoma and out west. Used one atop a .300 win mag to take my elk at 397yds the kahles I have are 3-9x50 with their cl dials. Great optics. The .270 wsm you already have would suit your needs well I would think though. But I'll never tell anyone they don't need another scope !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7stwluver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Interesting posts.

Can't go wrong with Leupold, most of my rifles wear them, but I just bought a Zeiss Conquest and have been enjoying it as well.
    I never found a Burris that I could mount and have it make sense. Something was always troubling with the way they were set up.

Don't forget that the latest and greatest is the VX-3, and that VX-III is older technology. Vari-X-III is older yet. Still serviceable but not all the same thing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BrettKoenecke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love the Leupold on our 270. Another scope just to look at is Nikon. I have one on the muzzleloader and it hasn't skipped a beat. The scope has multiple "dots" each dot refers to a certain yardage...makes it easier to aim compared to the typical cross hair of a scope where your guess how high to hold the cross hairs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettKoenecke View Post
    Interesting posts.

Can't go wrong with Leupold, most of my rifles wear them, but I just bought a Zeiss Conquest and have been enjoying it as well.
    I never found a Burris that I could mount and have it make sense. Something was always troubling with the way they were set up.

Don't forget that the latest and greatest is the VX-3, and that VX-III is older technology. Vari-X-III is older yet. Still serviceable but not all the same thing.
    Good to know about the nomenclature on the leupolds. I didn't know that. I got rid of that Burris because it just wasn't right to look through. I moved it around for all kinds of eye relief distances but it just never seemed right.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know a lot of people out there love Nikon and no offense to them but I had a bad experience with their customer service dept. Just something to think about. O yeah and the fact that leupold is made here should break any ties.
    Quote Originally Posted by chasingAZelk View Post
    I love the Leupold on our 270. Another scope just to look at is Nikon. I have one on the muzzleloader and it hasn't skipped a beat. The scope has multiple "dots" each dot refers to a certain yardage...makes it easier to aim compared to the typical cross hair of a scope where your guess how high to hold the cross hairs.