Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    Leupold is the golden standard in american scopes. I own several of them and the performance is unquestionable and customer service is second to none. The vx-l may be an option for a lower mount with a 50mm
    Same here- great scopes and I have many and for antelope I have the 4x14x50 mounted on my STW. That 50mm will get the light you need on low light conditions and be a benefit.

I have Zeiss Bino's and a Swarovski spotting scope and they have great glass as well. Good Luck in you choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Alight, I've had a lot of fun looking at scopes. I think I may have decided to pick up a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50 side focus. Now, what I am debating, is whether to get the CDS for elevation. It looks like it costs about $50 or so above just the side focus. It also looks like the 30mm tube and 50mm objective are each $100 over the 1" with 40mm objective. Makes a $600 scope $850 pretty quick.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsd16 View Post
    Alight, I've had a lot of fun looking at scopes. I think I may have decided to pick up a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50 side focus. Now, what I am debating, is whether to get the CDS for elevation. It looks like it costs about $50 or so above just the side focus. It also looks like the 30mm tube and 50mm objective are each $100 over the 1" with 40mm objective. Makes a $600 scope $850 pretty quick.
    John,

I have the BC reticle with nothing else adjustable. I am very comfortable out to 500 yards with this set up. My 30-06 doesn't produce enough killing power beyond 500 for elk so that is my personal limit. I don't care for the adjustable focus myself...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    John,

I have the BC reticle with nothing else adjustable. I am very comfortable out to 500 yards with this set up. My 30-06 doesn't produce enough killing power beyond 500 for elk so that is my personal limit. I don't care for the adjustable focus myself...
    I'm old school when it comes to reticles. All of mine have the Leupold Target Dot reticle, I have shot a dot since my first Weaver K3 60 years ago.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a Huskemaw 5x20 on my 300 RUM anything within a half a mile Im on it but also like my nikon an leupold

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This is the best value in a scope that fits your needs IMHO, similar to the VX3 but tougher construction and a little better glass.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/catal...e97f46d4aadfaf

I can't remember which one it is but either Optics Planet or SWFA has a lowest price guarantee and advertise 10% lower making the MK4 a good buy indeed.

Bob

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I set-up my 25-06 as a specialty rifle with open country antelope/deer in mind. I mounted a Leupold VX6 3-18x 44mm with the B&C Reticle. After going through some other set-ups I find this to be the one I like most. I still find the fixed RF reticles to my preference as I can sight in the trajectories of various loads should I choose to do so without the need to have another turret made up. Also, I like the " keep it simple" idea and not have something that you have to keep working the internal components of your scope. As good as todays scopes are, with all that constant changing/dialing of the turrets you run the risk of something failing and with the getting rarer opportunities at a trophy you want to keep "things that can wrong" to a minimum.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by stevevan View Post
    I set-up my 25-06 as a specialty rifle with open country antelope/deer in mind. I mounted a Leupold VX6 3-18x 44mm with the B&C Reticle. After going through some other set-ups I find this to be the one I like most. I still find the fixed RF reticles to my preference as I can sight in the trajectories of various loads should I choose to do so without the need to have another turret made up. Also, I like the " keep it simple" idea and not have something that you have to keep working the internal components of your scope. As good as todays scopes are, with all that constant changing/dialing of the turrets you run the risk of something failing and with the getting rarer opportunities at a trophy you want to keep "things that can wrong" to a minimum.
    Nothing wrong with what you are using and your reasoning. Years ago I tried a reticle with all the extra dots and "stuff" inside with the same idea, but I didn't like the cluttered look it had. I like the single dot to view and the clear imaging I get. (Like I said in a previous post...I'm old school, goes with my age!) As far as moving the turret to set the range, I find I really don't use it all that much. Most of my shooting is 250 yds or less and my zero is 200 yds. Pretty much dead on aiming. Also as I shoot all Leupolds and their warranty is lifetime...no worries mate!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    This is the best value in a scope that fits your needs IMHO, similar to the VX3 but tougher construction and a little better glass.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/catal...e97f46d4aadfaf

I can't remember which one it is but either Optics Planet or SWFA has a lowest price guarantee and advertise 10% lower making the MK4 a good buy indeed.

Bob

The mark 4 has better glass than the VX-3?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsd16 View Post
    The mark 4 has better glass than the VX-3?
    No they do not.

They use the same optical technology (coatings, etc.) as the VX-3. The Mark4 version does have side focus rather than AO though. That particular Mark 4 scope (and the VX-3 counterpart) does have quite a bit of variable eye relief (3/4").

The Leupy's are good scopes, but personally I prefer Vortex Viper scopes in this price range. The HST is a nice scope, and you can set up a rotation stop with the included shims. Eye relief is constant.

EDIT:

I see the OP mentioned the Swarovski Z3. I have the 4-12X50 with the BRH reticle, and it is one of my favorites. It is an excellent hunting scope if it fits in your budget.
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 04-19-2014 at 11:22 AM.