Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unit 73

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 73

Hello: This is my intial post after registering not long ago. I'm now a Michigan resident returning back home to the UP after 25 years living in western Wyoming. I'm a good resource for anyone concerning info. about the Salt River and Wyoming Ranges. My antelope experience is limited to the Red Desert (unit 60) and a couple more on the western end. I know the northern section of 60 very well as I've been fortunate to hunt there a half dozen times. That was before it got to be well known. Anyway, this year I applied for a unit 73 tag with 4 points. That puts me in excellent position to be successful in the draw. Hence, I'm starting a bit of research as I'm going in green. I'd really appreciate any tips from those who have been in unit 73. Everything would be helpful and appreciated. Information such as road access, where to get your meat processed, good places to get a bite to eat, etc. would be great. I've purchased a GPS chip and will be ordering some topo maps. Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've hunted in 73 the last three years. Last fall they herded up early because of the big snow we had in Oct. They were also really spooky. I would stop to glass a herd 2 miles away and they would be moving out before I could get the scope on em. Casper is the closest place to get all the stuff you need. There are quite a few roads in the unit, but as you probably know, watch the weather report because if it even drizzles they suck. There's a blacktop road going right through the middle in case it gets wet and you can almost always see antelope along this road. Trophy quality seems to have gone down, last year after glassing over a couple hundred I only saw two that looked pretty good. I heard they dropped tag numbers significantly in the units around Casper this year. PM me if you have any other questions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to robsev For This Useful Post:

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, I've had first hand experience with that Wyoming clay when it gets wet. Not fun at all. I remember more than once breaking camp in the middle of the night after hearing the first rain drop hit the roof. Time then to get back on the pavement!!! I do see where the lic. numbers have been reduced this year. I applaud the G&F for their game mgt. practices and putting the resource at the top of their priorities. Since coming back east, specifically Michigan, I can't be so complimentary to our states DNR. With 30 years experience and education in resource management, I can't see what these guys back here have for a positive objective except the goal to just sell as many licenses as possible. I'm very hopeful to draw the tag and once again get the sweet smell of sage. A good buck would be great but the experience of the open desert would be "deja vu all over".

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One more quick ? How has your winter been out in that part of Wyo.?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's been a little colder than normal, But the snow hasn't been bad. We have a herd wintering in the pasture behind our house - I counted 34 this morning, and all seem to be pretty healthy. Haven't heard much about the Casper area, so I assume it hasn't been a whole lot different than here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Other than the type 7 licenses, 73 is the only area in the Casper region not taking a major hit with licenses this year...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't really understand why Eastman's upgraded it to blue chip this year. Like I
    said earlier, I covered a lot of ground and only saw 2 that might make the B & C minimum. Couldn't get even close to either one of em.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm kind of tracking this thread as I also put 73 as my first choice with 4 points. Also went ahead and put in for the MD 34 as well. Though with the tag cuts in MD34, we likely won't draw. The responses on here, for the most part, mirror what I've gotten on other forums and from the biologist. We are just after a respectable example of an antelope. 70+ inches if possible. Heck, I'm not sure I can even judge them good enough to know a really nice one when I see it. This is my first trip out there. I definitely can't shoot 2 miles though, so I hate to hear that they are that spooky. Thanks for the responses.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Heck, I'm not sure I can even judge them good enough to know a really nice one when I see it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Mass and good, long cutters!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Mass and good, long cutters!
    ***That, and the cutters should be well above the ear tips. If a guy can't go out to almost any unit in Wyoming and kill a 70"+ goat in a week, it's not because they aren't there but more because they don't know how to hunt or can't judge them properly and shoot the first one they see that is small.