Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unit 73

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    ***That, and the cutters should be well above the ear tips. If a guy can't go out to almost any unit in Wyoming and kill a 70"+ goat in a week, it's not because they aren't there but more because they don't know how to hunt or can't judge them properly and shoot the first one they see that is small.
    After you've looked at a few, the ones with mass and big, long cutters just jump out at you. If you see a small herd of them, there will usually be several bucks. When you start comparing them you will see the difference. The hardest ones to judge IMO, are lone bucks that are a long ways off. Then when the cutters are well above the ears and seem to stick way out there, they deserve a second look.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 7 Posts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012 Hunting trip 053.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	9173
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    After you've looked at a few, the ones with mass and big, long cutters just jump out at you. If you see a small herd of them, there will usually be several bucks. When you start comparing them you will see the difference. The hardest ones to judge IMO, are lone bucks that are a long ways off. Then when the cutters are well above the ears and seem to stick way out there, they deserve a second look.
    Look for one like this. I got him in 2012 and he was in the high 70s because of the mass going way up and decent cutters even though he was only 14".
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 04-14-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I agree with everything said. The place to start is to examine the position of the prong on the horn. If it's above the ears and the width of the cutter is strong, then he's a candidate for a closer look as that cutter should be in the 3rd quarter when the measurements are taken.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post

Name:	2012 Hunting trip 053.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	9173

Look for one like this. I got him in 2012 and he was in the high 70s because of the mass going way up and decent cutters even though he was only 14".
    Is this the one with three mass measurements below the prong? Awesome looking goat, what a beast!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations

Name:	lm 015.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	9178Yes it is and here's another from 2009 that went well into the 70s.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Nice TG, thanks for sharing. Hopefully they won't be few and far between while the OP and I are out there. I'm heading out very late in the antelope season though. So it may be pretty slim pickings.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Later is actually better. I never go till the last half of the season. I usually see maybe one or two other hunters at the most. A lot of days, especially weekdays, I don't see any. Normally they're not as spooky as they were last fall. I'm thinking the big snow we had in October and bunching up early had something to do with it. Almost seems like in this country, if they issue 800 tags in a unit, 750 guys go out opening weekend and leave the rest of the season to the rest of us.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to robsev For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I like the sound of that. Thanks Rob!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If for some reason I can't hunt a whole season for any animal when I go out, I'll always skip the first part of the season and go later with the same result in having the place to myself just as robsev mentioned. It just seems as if 90% of the people that draw tags feel they have to be there for the opener and it can be a zoo. There will be plenty of goats to chase when you get there, but it may take a little longer to find and kill a really good one. That's not bad either because the actual hunt is where it's at and not just the shooting part!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Yep...agree 100%. I always hunt the last part of the season. Almost no hunters and animals seem to be less skittish. In 2012 I hunted 74 and only saw 2 other hunters.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley