Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

wyoming elk 47, 48, or 49

With the deadline coming soon I have been looking at areas to try and draw. I know all three areas have limited access. I would like to draw a tag rather then hunt general. I was wondering if any of you have experience in these areas. Are they worth looking into. Since i will be doing public land hunting is there spot in these areas that hold elk or are they mostly going to be found on private? any info is greatly appreciated. feel free to send me a pm if you would like.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am in the same boat. It looked like there was some walk-in and hunter management areas around Copper Mountain in Area 47, and the hunter success rates look pretty good for that area, too. That dang snow and wind today killed my motivation for about everything but looking at this stuff today. I couldn't quite tell looking at it quick but it looked like Copper Mt. was in Fremont County for the Type 2 that had the best success rates for that area on the web-site.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted 48 for quite a few years...mostly on private. Once the hunting starts, most of the elk head for private.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've had the same thought process before since I can't seem to draw either. But, I would highly encourage you to apply elsewhere. I can't figure out how these three areas are ranked as 'good'. Apparently Eastmans' consider them better than 39, 40, 41 and just as good as 62 since they're both green. I couldn't disagree more.

Let's look at 47: First of all, I wouldn't get the Type 2 over 1 because it limits you to Fremont County only. Type 1 is good for the whole area. Second, don't count on the HMA; it's antlerless only. I've seen these tags on the leftover list multiple times and nearly picked them up until I did some digging. After what I found, I decided to buy a full price cow tag. My neighbor is from that country and he looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I was interested in Copper Mtn. Last year, only 141 people put in for 185 of the Type 1 tags and 5 tried for 21 of the Type 2s. Those numbers are a big red flag to me. Success rates are good but I'm guessing the folks that are applying there have a private land connection. With very poor access to only 35% public ground, I would steer clear from this area. If you're determined to try it still, you could put it as second choice and still have pretty good odds. Have your GPS and maps ready though.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elkoholic307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    307---They are good only of you can get access to the private ranches in those areas and that is the big fallacy with having them colored that way. They could have 50,000 elk in them, but if you can't get access to them, what good is it?!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the information 307! Those kinds of areas are frustrating for me to try and hunt. It sounds like one of those things that look good on paper, but then don't pan out. I am kindof gleaning info from someone else's deal, but sounds like an area to steer away from.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 04-15-2014 at 12:14 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    I've had the same thought process before since I can't seem to draw either. But, I would highly encourage you to apply elsewhere. I can't figure out how these three areas are ranked as 'good'. Apparently Eastmans' consider them better than 39, 40, 41 and just as good as 62 since they're both green. I couldn't disagree more.

Let's look at 47: First of all, I wouldn't get the Type 2 over 1 because it limits you to Fremont County only. Type 1 is good for the whole area. Second, don't count on the HMA; it's antlerless only. I've seen these tags on the leftover list multiple times and nearly picked them up until I did some digging. After what I found, I decided to buy a full price cow tag. My neighbor is from that country and he looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I was interested in Copper Mtn. Last year, only 141 people put in for 185 of the Type 1 tags and 5 tried for 21 of the Type 2s. Those numbers are a big red flag to me. Success rates are good but I'm guessing the folks that are applying there have a private land connection. With very poor access to only 35% public ground, I would steer clear from this area. If you're determined to try it still, you could put it as second choice and still have pretty good odds. Have your GPS and maps ready though.
    Also, a lot of the BLM & State land is landlocked. 35% isn't an accurate figure. Plan on paying access fees well ahead of time. And like what was stated previously by Cowboy, once pressured the elk head for private. Many a time I saw 150-200 head lying 100 yds. off a road....on private. Don't waste your time, unless you have an IN with a landowner. Just my experience and my opinion.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    If I lived in Casper I think I would be applying for 7... short drive should lead to plenty of scouting time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    7 has so many tags issued every year now and so many of the elk are on private property that there is no way I'd waste a tag on that unit unless I had a good ranch locked in.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had a couple friends hunt 47 two years ago. They were quite disappointed. Basically what you guys are saying, elk are all on private and it isn't a camping/forest style of hunt.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TuffBuc For This Useful Post: