Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to CO, archery or first rifle?

I'm new to the state and have been debating hunting archery or first rifle. Archery warmer weather and less pressure or rifle hunt being easier but more hunting pressure. I'm backpack hunting, looking for advice on which season to chase em, thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Do you have experience hunting elk?
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes killed a couple of 330+ late season bulls in Arizona.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Both seasons are rough due to people. What part of co? Are you from AZ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Rockies are the marrow of the world.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like archery season because it is a bit less of a circus than rifle. You still need to get away from roads though. I'd draw a line around every road and access point a mile out on a map and then highlight that area as a dead zone. Go further than that and you'll outwalk most folks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If your looking at this year, your to late because all 1st season tags are draw only. Unless your thinking about picking up a leftover or something? It depends on a lot of things... a little more info might get you the advise your looking for. 1st season rifle success will undoubtedly be way higher than archery if that makes any difference.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If your primary goal is getting an elk then first season is by far your best choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am from arizona. I guess I meant second rifle because its otc like archery. I dont have much experience hunting elk in the rut and being a non resident i fear my chance of success with a bow will be very slim. I will be backpack hunting so definitely away from roads and majority of pressure. Im looking at hunting 75/751 near durango. I to am looking to avoid the circus of rifle hunting but I also realize shooting a rifle vs a bow will raise my odds. Here in Arizona the elk hunting "culture" people generally stick to road hunting. Ive learned here to get off the roads and I usually find gobbs of elk. So another question to you guys is what is the "culture" like there in CO? How much pressure will I run into backpack hunting several miles from roads?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hferrin701 View Post
    I am from arizona. I guess I meant second rifle because its otc like archery. I dont have much experience hunting elk in the rut and being a non resident i fear my chance of success with a bow will be very slim. I will be backpack hunting so definitely away from roads and majority of pressure. Im looking at hunting 75/751 near durango. I to am looking to avoid the circus of rifle hunting but I also realize shooting a rifle vs a bow will raise my odds. Here in Arizona the elk hunting "culture" people generally stick to road hunting. Ive learned here to get off the roads and I usually find gobbs of elk. So another question to you guys is what is the "culture" like there in CO? How much pressure will I run into backpack hunting several miles from roads?
    There is limited road hunting opportunities in either unit. There are lots of places to find solitude in those areas even during second season. There are good elk numbers and you should find some elk. Another unit to consider in that area is 77 which lies partially within the Weminuche wilderness.