Thread: Elk decoy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Elk decoy

Im bow hunting Elk this year in New Mexico. For the early part of the season I do a lot of water hole hunting. I am thinking about trying my Montana cow Elk decoy at the water hole. Have any of you guys tried these? Any pointers on there use?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Limited use, but I got busted while carrying it. I held it up in front of my face and Cow called and they calmed down and even had a calf come running within 20 yards of me. I think they are a good product that works. Maybe not every time, but what does.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im a big fan of the montana decoys here in wyoming, I have really good luck with antelope, Elk i use them for more of a last option or if your in a wooded area then you could bust it out during a calling sequence i wouldnt recommend just setting it up beside a water hole, because most times an elk is already set on hitting that water hole to wallow or drink i dont think you need the added decoy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schl44 View Post
    Im bow hunting Elk this year in New Mexico. For the early part of the season I do a lot of water hole hunting. I am thinking about trying my Montana cow Elk decoy at the water hole. Have any of you guys tried these? Any pointers on there use?
    Like Boehunter mentions, you don't need the decoy at the water hole. IMO it would drastically lower you chance of success by using it. Many times at water holes the cows will be the first ones in. If they get close enough to bust your decoy, your chances for a bull are gone for some time.

For the water holes you need to leave no scent coming and going. I like to sit cross wind from the water hole, not directly down wind. Many elk will approach from directly down wind an I feel you have a better chance if you are on the side. Using a tree stand helps even more if you have the opportunity.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Makes sense. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Recommend researching some reviews. Lots of positive ones but also some mixed in terms of quality.

Guy on ebay has one for sale and the pic he posted is terrible. It created a shadow/halo effect on the material from the sun and looks nothing like a realistic animal in this setup.

Good number of folks complain about quality of craftsmanship and durability...

I'm considering a decoy as well and leaning more towards the one that is simply a cow head. May still try the Montana though.

I think the best use for it is in thicker cover where bulls may be more inclined to hang up. Another would be in the open terrain to mask your silouhette if you need to walk across large open areas.

Outside of that, believe they'll work as good or as bad as turkey decoys when you're hunting thunder chicken.
    Heli M Lost / Heli M Tactical
    Spot Hogg-It 7 Pin / Spot Hogg Hunter 3 or 5 pin
    B-Stinger Hunter Extreme Lost / Black
    QAD XD Lost / Black
    Carbon Express Aramid KV 350 / Blue Streak Select 350

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Here is Utah, I have used it a few times for elk. A few times with no success, but thats not because of the decoy. There were other reason associated with it. However, last year I used it the last week of Aug on the archery hunt here in Utah on the Wasatch unit. Called in 3 different bulls; a small 5 point and twin 6 pointers all within 20 minutes of setting up. This is the bull i called in using the decoy for my brother-in-law.

He scored right at 330.
    Ive got a Wyoming unit 45 elk tag this year in the Bighorns. You better believe Im using it. I might even buy another just in case.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would never use one on a water hole. Nothing but trouble. They're already coming there for a reason. You'll only screw it up with a decoy. But I would use one if calling and I had the chance to properly set it up. I like giving them something to look at when I'm trying to get a shot off. That said, most of the time I'm doing the run and gun...archery - calling, chasing and trying to intercept. You're always on the move. It doesn't lend itself to having the time to properly set one up unless you have a caller and he uses it as part of his role.