Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

General Western Mule Deer questions

Greetings. The elk hunt I was planning for late September is looking uncertain due to changing circumstances. All is not lost however - a window of opportunity in mid November to early December has emerged. I know that many states have open rifle seasons during this time period, but I'm pretty ignorant about the details at this point. Any input on the following questions would be appreciated.

My criteria for the hunt is pretty simple. I would much prefer to backpack in a more "wilderness" setting, would like access to lots of public land where pressure isn't going to be too heavy, and trophy size isn't really that important to me. I will have at least one hunting partner with me, maximum of two.

Which states should I target to meet the criteria above? Any input appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All you are going to get now are left overs or Pay for land owner voucher here in Colorado. However, I know there may be some o.k. places that will be left over. We will just have to wait and see.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Depending on where your from or if you have any preference points saved i would say colorado or a cow tag in another state say wyoming.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What are you actually wanting to hunt? Elk or deer? The post title says mule deer but in your post you say elk? In Colorado the 3rd. rifle season is Nov.1-9. The 4th. rifle season is Nov. 12-16. I know you can buy over-the-counter antlered elk tags for the 3rd. season and hunt the over-the-counter units but I'm not sure about the 4th. season. Tags for the fourth season may be all draw.
    All deer tags are draw only but there may be some left over tags. If so, most of them are either private land or doe only. Draw deadline was April 1st.
    Look on the CPW website for information: cpw.state.co.us or call 303-297-1192 for information.
    Wyoming, Montana and Idaho might be worth looking into.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I dont know of many places with leftover or otc tags for anything mid November to early December. That would also not be a good time to backpack into alot of wilderness areas. Montana should have some tags left over and that goes into late nov. Arizona has otc archery deer tags in dec/jan. Nebraska has otc muzzleloader tags in dec.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Nevada can meet this for you but you better hurry the apps will close soon. Also ID has OTC tags you can get on line and pack into some beautiful country.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    I know Nebraska isn't considered part of the West for this forum's purposes but non-residents can purchase muzzleloader tags over the counter. The season runs December 1st through December 31st. The tag is good state wide and there are some great hunts to be had for Mule Deer and Whitetail Deer. Western Nebraska has some good pieces of public to hunt as well in the western part of the state. If you get out and hike, you will be a minority. Most guys road hunt or hunt fairly close to the roads.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hilltop View Post
    i know nebraska isn't considered part of the west for this forum's purposes but non-residents can purchase muzzleloader tags over the counter. The season runs december 1st through december 31st. The tag is good state wide and there are some great hunts to be had for mule deer and whitetail deer. Western nebraska has some good pieces of public to hunt as well in the western part of the state. If you get out and hike, you will be a minority. Most guys road hunt or hunt fairly close to the roads.

sssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BleuBijou View Post
    sssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!
    lol... sorry. I have a bunch of private to hunt so it doesn't bug me if people come hunt the public.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you're after elk, you could apply for a cow hunt in Utah. Application period doesn't start till May, and some of the hunts run from early October all the way to the end of January. Won't get any horns for the wall, but the meat sure is good...