Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question When would a good time be to go scouting my hunt area?

I drew a type 1 tag and my buddy drew a type 4 tag for GMU 120 for elk. I would like to head up there from Kentucky sometime between now and when the season starts to get a lay of the land and possibly meet with the biologist for the area. I would like some recommendations on when a good time would be to head up there to look around?

We've never hunted elk in WY but I have hunted antelope. Hopefully I can get some advice on where to go look but I'm still planning on going up to check the area out.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    im not familiar with those areas but if possible, the best time to scout it is a few days before your hunt opens, you could hit it in the summer but alot of those elk may or may not be in different areas come hunt time. plus itll save ya an extra trip if ya take a couple extra days off and scout day/days prior to hunt. bring a gps and check out water sources, amazing what u can fins with a gps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So when are your planned hunting dates? archery sept? gun oct? im guessing in oct since you have the type 4 tag

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    If you aren't planning to hunt the entire season to fill your tags, I'd be saving that initial trip time and tacking days on to the actual hunt if possible. Elk can move a lot and as previously mentioned there may not even be many in the unit until the Fall season is close or gets going. Before I made that long trip to scout I'd definitely contact the area biologist and get his take on game movement and whether that initial scouting trip would be needed. On the other hand, if you have plenty of time and money to make a vacation/ scouting trip, then by all means do so and even if there aren't elk there then you'll be able to get the lay of the land down and be ready for the hunt itself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Browntailguy View Post
    I drew a type 1 tag and my buddy drew a type 4 tag for GMU 120 for elk. I would like to head up there from Kentucky sometime between now and when the season starts to get a lay of the land and possibly meet with the biologist for the area. I would like some recommendations on when a good time would be to head up there to look around?

We've never hunted elk in WY but I have hunted antelope. Hopefully I can get some advice on where to go look but I'm still planning on going up to check the area out.

Thanks in advance.
    If you are just wanting to get the lay of the land, then anytime between now and then would work. If you are concerned about locating elk and those elk being in close proximity to that area come opening morning, then I would scout immediately before the hunt.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree with Topgun and Ivory

Also the biologist seem to be more and more unavailable at least here in Nv. I would call plenty of time ahead to make an appointment to meet them. Or maybe just a phone call to discuss areas of interest.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Browntail, is that Wyoming elk area #120? Do you have access to a ranch/ranches or is this a DIY public land hunt? How many points did it take to draw?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Browntail, is that Wyoming elk area #120? Do you have access to a ranch/ranches or is this a DIY public land hunt? How many points did it take to draw?
    Yes, we're in the Wyoming Forum and it sounded like they are doing a DIY on BLM land. Unit 120 took 7 and 3 PPs in the regular PP and special PP draws, respectively, this year.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 04-21-2014 at 06:36 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted 120 about 20 years ago. Almost all of the western part is private prop. Lots of elk, but hard to get good access. Good luck to you.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Actually CC, the southeastern and southern border of 120 is where most of the private land is located. The western and northern part is predominantly BLM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post: