Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sleeping bags.....down or synthetic?

So haven't posted for a few days.....you all thought you got lucky and I left huh
    Well I'm still here to ask a ton of questions
    Been doing some reading on sleeping bags and wanted to get some ideas from you all.
    I have read the biggest differences in down vs synthetic is weight is lighter with down. Synthetic withstands wet conditions better. And down compresses smaller and weighs less. I keep leaning toward synthetic due to wet factor. But I was wondering would I be better with a down bag and get a waterproof bevy for it? Only drawback I see to this is with the weight of the down bag and also the bevy I would be back to about the weight if a synthetic bag. So what are some opinions from you all

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Think it boils down to your shelter options.

If you're going simple and lighter with a tarp or lean too type set, then you may want the synthetic.

If you'll be in a waterproof tent, then the down should be fine.

If you're intent is to keep weight down and use down, for the right price, you can get a bivy to keep your options open.
    Heli M Lost / Heli M Tactical
    Spot Hogg-It 7 Pin / Spot Hogg Hunter 3 or 5 pin
    B-Stinger Hunter Extreme Lost / Black
    QAD XD Lost / Black
    Carbon Express Aramid KV 350 / Blue Streak Select 350

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm planning on using the tarptent contrail is the shelter I'm going with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Is there a reason why down bags aren't covered in a waterproof material? or even gore-tex etc...?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think it has to do with breath ability and ventilation for the occupant. Those waterproof materials can get really clammy from my experience resulting in water being trapped in the bag, reducing loft and making the occupant uncomfortable. There are some new "hydrophobic" down products on the market. Often seen with the name "dri-down" or something similar. They are real new, so there is not a track record for how long they may hold up, but from reviews they hold up pretty well to damp conditions (not wet, or rainy down pours, but damp). They are a good in between option, though you pay for it in price.

But essentially: Down - light and compressable but looses loft when wet
    Synthetic: Handles wet conditions better but is bulkier and heavier for the same warmth.

Pick your poison. I think my next bag will be a dri-down bag though (I have my eye on a sierra design back country bed actually).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IdahoSkies For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 4 Posts
    Does the dri down still let the bag breathe if you sweat in it? Also what does it do when you have to wash it. I'm in the market for a new bag and looking at the treated down.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It does not effect the breathing of the bag. As far as washing it, I don't have any personal experience, but Kelty says that washing it has no discernible effect on it. http://www.dridown.com/faq/ ("dri-down" is Kelty's term for it, different manufacturer's use other terms. they are all "hydrophobic down" though).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When I was in college, we rented a basement apartment that had no insulation and no heat in the bedrooms. I used a down bag as a bed spread for two years. In the winter it'd drop down to 50 - 55 degrees. Now I have several down and synthetic bags. Seems like down loses its loft way before the synthetic ever starts to break down. I'd go with synthetic unless yer a winter back packer...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Triple BB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Triple BB, that is odd. One of the "selling points" for down is that it holds its loft longer than synthetic bags. Neither should be stored compressed. But YMMV.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 9 Posts
    It's not good for any insulation to be stored compressed. It's kind of like your pillow at home, over time it gets flat from the pressure you apply to it.

I will be trying out a synthetic bag this year, have been using down for a very long time and it will be nice to have both options.