Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Vortex viper hd vs. razor hd

Gonna need new binos for my hunt out west next year and would love a pair of swarovskis but just can't pull that kind of cash for them
    I have heard really good things about the Vortex lines and was wanting to get your alls opinions on the viper hd vs the razor hd. Is there really that much difference to justify the cost of the razor hd over the viper hd binos?
    Need to get a good set and just not sure if it's worth the extra for the razor over the viper at almost double the cost
    I know you get what you pay for but I also have to try and go as cheap as I can gear wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I would really look at the Terra models from Zeiss, hard to beat for the price.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just purchased a pair of vortex viper hd 10x42's. I absolutely love them. I can't wait to get out west and give them a good work out. I seriously considered the Zeiss Terra and Vortex Talons as well. I compared the viper hd to the razor in low light. The razor was better, but not $600 better to me. The vipers were optically slightly better then talons, but the feel in the hands and smoothness of the focus knob pushed me into the vipers. I strongly considered the Zeiss Terra's, optically to me they were right with the talons, in a smaller lighter package. I believe there is still a rebate on the terra right now. PM Harkstalk before you buy, he is a great guy to deal with.

Jason Moeller

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Scott for the suggestion on the ziess I like the price on them for sure
    I'll do September looking around also

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have the Vortex Viper HD in 10x50. Great glass.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll do some more looking on them
    I hate spell check sometimes lol

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm going to differ and suggest the Razor HD. I bought a pair of 10x42 Razor HD's last year and absolutely think they are excellent and a great value. I also own a pair of 8x upper end Zeiss Binos and would put the Vortex Razors at like quality. I used the Vortex's last year and the performance was all I could ask for. If you can spend the extra I would highly recommend the Razors. Especially as a Western Bino where you'll be looking through them a lot and the extra time at daylight and dusk which separates the good glass from the excellent glass.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    After comparing the Razor HD and the Viper HD, I honestly had a real hard time telling to two apart. Ultimately, I went with the Razor because they fit my face better, as the Vipers don't close together enough for my (apparently) narrow set eyes..

That said, I absolute love my Razor HD's, and don't hardly go anywhere without them.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So Fink other than fit you didn't notice a lot of difference in the 2?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    To my highly untrained eye... Not really. But then, I probably don't even know what to look for to separate great binos, from the best. And, admittedly, I only looked through them in cabelas, and outside the store. Not ever at low light conditions, so I can't say how they perform there.

To be perfectly honest, I'm probably the last guy on the forum to take bino advise from, but, I really love the Razors, and am very happy to own them. You're flat out not gonna beat the warrantee, the customer service folks are great, some of the dealers that sell them are the best , and I'm amazed at how clear they are, and how comfortable they are when glued to my eyes all day.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.