Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 9 Posts
    How many of you have actually used a quilt from Enlightened Equipment?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I haven't, but I have used my grandmas that's hanging on the back of my couch...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    I haven't, but I have used my grandmas that's hanging on the back of my couch...
    I'M ROLLING!!! This thread is off to a very interesting start.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I think I am going to try over and under quilts with a hammock this year for a solo shelter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am looking at adding one to increase my bag rating for a late season hunt. I could throw it in the pack for an emergency blanket for an unexpected overnight stay away from camp. I wouldn't be warm but would help a bunch. Tim at Enlightened Equip said a 50 degree quilt added to a 20 degree bag would get you to 0 degree. If you put the quilt over the bag he said the condensation would be in the quilt and easier to dry due to it being thinner/lighter than the 20 degree sleeping bag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Call me old school but does a zipper really weigh that much.
    I don't like drafts and if my bag is too restrictive I just unzip it.
    If folks like these, more power to them, I'll just continue to wear a set of poly underwear or merino if I need more warmth.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mine is from EE. It is the Revelation X which I don't think he is offering any more but it is the exact same as the Revelation but used 2nds on the fabric. You couldn't tell that the fabric was 2nds. Anyway mine has 800 down and I think he is now using 750 but I could be wrong. I got a 20░ but had him over fill it so it would be good for a little colder. Also got the wide. I think it weighed around 27 oz which is about a pound lighter than my 20░ bag. It is wide enough that I can toss and turn and not feel constrained. Temps probably were around mid 30s. You will lose heat from your head and neck compared to a bag with a hood so if it will be real cold you need to bring along a warm hat. I like it a lot and happy with the purchase. If I was going some place that was going to be below 20 each night I would probably pack a bag though with a zipper and hood.

Thanks
    Congratulations

What do you know about these quilts?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I've got an EE Rev X 20░. It is a high quality piece of gear tailor made for a single purpose - insulation at a minimum weight. The weight savings of a quilt comes because the quilt doesn't have bottom insulation. It has a closed in footbox to keep your feet warm, but the only bottom insulation you have is from your pad.

In a regular sleeping bag the insulation underneath you is wasted weight because it is compressed and can't trap air which means it isn't doing anything to keep you warm. A quilt is better in this regard and will be lighter than a sleeping bag for the same temp rating. A sleeping bag does a much better job of sealing out drafts however, especially if you toss and turn at night. Also, the quilt doesn't have a hood, meaning you'll have to supply your own head insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I think I am going to try over and under quilts with a hammock this year for a solo shelter.
    I've been using hammocks for several years now, and a TQ and UQ is by far the most comfortable way to go.

This photo is of a TTT Switchback hammock, an OES MacCat tarp in snakeskins suspended above the hammock, a Hammock Gear 20 deg Incubator UQ, and Rev X TQ. The weather was beautiful that night so I never unfurled the tarp, preferring to stargaze instead. But if it had rained I could have the tarp deployed in about 45 seconds.

My wife on the same trip, with a WB Blackbird and Mamba Jamba tarp. She wanted the tarp out halfway to block the moonlight.

Last edited by RockChucker30; 04-24-2014 at 08:13 AM.
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RockChucker30 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks for the info, RC30.

I haven't slept on any pad that came remotely close to hammock-comfort.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've used the EE quilts a lot, usually a 20 degree. I prefer a quilt if temps are above freezing , below that it starts to be a judgment call. I've slept up high in November with one , but probably would have preferred a solid sleeping bag then , although I do sort of dislike bags but single digits is cold