Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Mexico elk unit 36

Hi guys, I was drawn for New Mexico's unit 36 muzzy hunt. I have never been there before and plan on putting boots to the ground a few days before the Oct. opening. I understand there was a big fire a couple years ago in that unit? I was wondering if anyone who had past experiences would feel ok to share some insight as to what drainages I should concentrate on. Many thanks ahead of time. I totally understand what kind of effort it takes to gain experience in these draw areas and really appreciate your advice. thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Where ya headed there from?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im headed there from east texas...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I sent you a short PM over on the Huntin Fool forum.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks got it, appreciate it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ROUGH COUNTRY! Being a flatlander like myself you will want to be in the best shape possible because this unit has some of the deepest canyons in the country. Huge elk and plenty of em if your prepared for a hunt that will take you to hell and back but could reward you with a heavenly bull. Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by opssup View Post
    Hi guys, I was drawn for New Mexico's unit 36 muzzy hunt. I have never been there before and plan on putting boots to the ground a few days before the Oct. opening. I understand there was a big fire a couple years ago in that unit? I was wondering if anyone who had past experiences would feel ok to share some insight as to what drainages I should concentrate on. Many thanks ahead of time. I totally understand what kind of effort it takes to gain experience in these draw areas and really appreciate your advice. thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    opssup, Im not sure if your interested but I drew a 36 early archery tag and since the odds of me ever drawing again are so slim I got no problem passing on what I learn this September to you. Probablly be more of what not to do, but will be info for you. Be advised this will be my first elk hunt ever so the deck is stacked against me but the offer is there for you. Lol I have spent my refund on somthing else cause I never considered drawing and now get to change my plans for this.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Boy you drew a nice tag for your first elk hunt! Ive been applying for 36 for several years and no dice. I think nmdgf only wants me to hunt the north part of the state because they wont give me a southern unit tag. Congrats on a great tag but you better be ready for rough country and awesome lightening storms
    Quote Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
    opssup, Im not sure if your interested but I drew a 36 early archery tag and since the odds of me ever drawing again are so slim I got no problem passing on what I learn this September to you. Probablly be more of what not to do, but will be info for you. Be advised this will be my first elk hunt ever so the deck is stacked against me but the offer is there for you. Lol I have spent my refund on somthing else cause I never considered drawing and now get to change my plans for this.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks, I've been putting in for 4-5 years on the same unit/hunts on a recommendation from a friend, I never really did much research cause I figured I'd never draw given my history with playing the odds. After the shock of learning I drew a tag, my first search for info netted me a 2007 article from mark Sullivan in outdoor life labeled "hell and back", lol. What have I got myself into???? Next I learn about this area getting burned pretty bad a year or so ago. Silver lining for me is this is undoubtedly the closest elk country for me so it's going to be a much easier solo trip for the given drive. Time will tell.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks swampokie, actually I work out on a regular basis...i'll probably kick it up a notch or two though. Saying that, I am 52 so its going to be a challenge no matter what!!