Thanks

muzzy grasshopper with a broadhead for turkey yes or no?

Hey guys,
    I'm completely new to archery just got my bow in November and I'm itching to hunt something with it (besides rabbits) and I've decided to try my luck at spring turkey with it. I'm a little concerned that my arrow may pass through way to easily and either loose the arrow or not cause enough damage on pass through to stop the bird in its tracks. So I was thinking about adding some of thos muzzy grasshopper wire deals to my broadhead but I thought I'd see what everyone opinion is. I've got my bow all set up the way I like for elk this fall and don't wanna screw with the sights with a bullhead or gillitine broadhead. Anyway any info thoughts would be appreciated. Oh and for your info I'm shooting a Bear encounter 65 lbs 29" draw 100 grn muzzy mx-3 broadheads. Thanks!

Thanks
    Use the same arrow and broadhead you would use for deer. Hit them in the spine, through the hips, or heart/lung, and you will kill a turkey. Turkeys provide enough resistance without the use of added junk on the arrow.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

istahill (03-24-2014)

Thanks
    I second what Crimson said. I have taken 7 turkeys with my bow and all were with my regular deer/elk setup. I didn't lose any of the arrows I hit a turkey with and they all were dead quickly. The only time I lost arrows I was trying to head shoot turkeys and just plain missed. Spring time grass makes finding arrows very difficult... When you hit a bird, the arrows are slowed enough usually to make them visible on the off side.

Thanks
    Agree with the above. I've killed a bunch of birds with my bow, usually shooting expandables. I've had very few pass thru's. In fact, looking back on it, it's surprising how few of the birds I have stuck had a complete pass thru.

My favorite shot on a bird is a side shot, aiming right at the base of the wing. A front shot is good too, I like to aim to pretty much shoot the beard off, right below the waddles. You can accidentally shoot too high on a bird real easy, and hit nothing. If the bird is fanned out, pointing away from you, the 'texas heart shot' is real deadly, and will mess a bird up in short order.

Be ready to run your bird down, or wack him with another shot. If they run, they can be real hard to find, as there's not much blood to follow. A large majority of the birds I've stuck have died about instantly though.. Even quicker than with a scattergun.

Don't shoot that guillotine head, it will most likely really hurt downrange accuracy.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    I'd pretty much written off the guillotine/bullhead broadheads awhile ago. I'm sure some guys use them and love 'em but I put one on and shot it a few times out of my set up and did not like the flight at all, planed all over the damn place! I still haven't decided on whether to use the grasshopper rings or not. Leaning towards not. Just heard that they were a great way to keep the arrow from passing through making nearly impossible for the bird to fly away or run very far (broadside shot at least)

Thanks
    Ill echo some of the above. G5 T3's expendable's did the trick on last years bird. Broadside base of the wing shot stopped it instantly.