Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Youth Bow Recommendation for 6 Year Old

My daughter is almost 6. Her younger brother and her go with me often to shoot. I definitely think its time to pick up a starter bow for her and am very excited. What would you guys recommend? What poundage and draw lenght should I be looking at? I don't want something that costs and bunch just in case she doesn't like but don't want something that is a gimmic also. I've been looking at either Bear Archery or Barnett. Brings back memories as my bro and I had little compound bows. We lived on a ranch and was always after the ground squirrels and badgers with those and became pretty good shots. I still remember my dad had me shoot at a squirrel at 30-40yds and I nailed it, can't remember my age but I was younger than 10.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Youth Bow Recommendation for 6 Year Old

I had my daughter shoot a "cheap" recurve for kids from Sportsmans warehouse. Now that she's 9 I got her the Diamond Atomic by Bowtech. She loves it and I getting accurate/deadly out to 15-20 yards, decent groups. her release is a Cobra junior; setup works fine. No complaints. I added a peep sight and stabilizer too. Bow shoots pretty quick and is adjustable in poundage to accommodate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    6 may be a bit young, but the Mission Craze by Mathews is a great youth bow. Adjustable from 19" and 15 lbs on the low end to 30" and 70 lb on the top end. Best of all its adjustable without a press. Retail is under $300 bare bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1 on the Diamond Atomic. I got this for my 5 year old about a month ago. Normally it is $200, but I got this from Cabelas on sale for $130. The thing I like about it is it is light (about 2lbs), draw length is adjustable from 12-24", and the draw weight is adjustable from 6-29 lbs, plus it comes as a kit with a decent sight and rest that works great for a starter bow.

You need to put a peep on it, but I have been having my daughter shoot without as I have been having her blank shoot into a bale to get used to shooting a bow.

http://www.diamondarchery.com/#/prod..._products&i=40

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A little Trad bow is my choice on the youngsters. and LOTS of cheap wood arrows!

This is a 3 or 4 year progression.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1 Mission Craze, I think that is what I mean. Rockchucker30 has the same bow we got for our son. He has had it since he was 8, and is now 11. He likes it and there is still plenty of room for growing and adjusting. I don't know anything about the Diamond brand. I was kindof sold on a package deal at the local shop for the Mission bow, plus the 4-H guys we were shooting with had them and liked them.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I second the Atomic. Got my 6 year old daughter one a few months ago. She was shooting a recurve prior to the Atomic. I like it due to the fact that the draw weight has a very large range.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    With my Oldest Daughter I was using a Martin Leopard with the Draw module changes every Month or so when she was growing fast.

She started with it when she was 10 or 11.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My son started with a Hoyt Rukkus at age 6 and he's still using it... highly adjustable from 15#-50 and a huge draw length change you can do at home. Here is is from last month at age 9 with it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1604919_10203938064198933_3323550494853423428_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	9448

10. The Following User Says Thank You to idahobow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nuclear Ice , easton Jazz arrows this thing is awesome for a small bow. Very light weight and easy for my 7 year old to hold up. It has a wide range of draw weight and lengths. Only thing is the stock strings are basically like rubber bands . I had someone make a set and the bow is great for her.