Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have belted brass and it's a pain in the butt. New brass will stretch over .010" in my chamber on the first firing. I've let the smoke out of quite a few pieces of brass and it'll scar your chamber.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    Sounds like the ogive of the bullet is hitting the rifling (bullet seated long), or the shoulder isn't getting bumped back quite enough. You can smoke the shoulder of the brass with a candle flame then chamber the EMPTY brass. Use the smoke to set your die length also. You want to just touch the smoke for a cpl thou bump. Sinclair comparator body with shoulder and ogive inserts will be your friend for knowing where you are and maintaining those specs.

You can use a full length die to neck size only or use it to bump the shoulder and neck size by getting a die for a different cartridge that has body clearance but the same caliber and shoulder angle, provided it's made. I use a 7mm Rem Mag to bump and neck size for 7STW.
    The problem with full length sizing fired brass is the die, when set low enough to size ahead of the base, will bump the shoulder back maybe .010" or more. This will cause excess expansion/contraction of the brass.
    This sounds like the problem you are having. I will also add that on your seating die it has a crimper and not properly set it will roll the shoulder on the brass .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I checked the col and it is fine. All the cases were trimmed to the "trim to length" specified in the lyman reloading handbook. Still not sure on the problem. Do I just shoot all the trimmed cases and then reload without trimming and full length resizing( a mistake I will not duplicate for the 300 wm and 223 cases I have waiting to be reloaded)? Thanks for all the help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm not talking a trimmed case, I'm talking about the distance the bullet ogive sticks out of the brass. If a cartridge won't chamber, 99% of the time the ogive is into the lands, or the shoulder is against the front chamber wall. There really isn't much else that can keep a non belted case from chambering.
    The other 1% is from an expanded case but this primarily happens with belted magnum cases. Your full length sizing should have taken care of it. Belted cases are a problem because you need to drop the sizer all the way down to the belt and that usually bumps the shoulder back too far.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    C.O.L can vary some with different bullets and different guns can take a different COL. Also dimensions factory ammo is loaded to can be different then whats in the books. Example: Hornady book gives a COL for a 22-250 of 2.350. The Lyman book gives a COL for a 55gr v-max of 2.345 (my Hornady book is to old to have a v-max in it). If I measure a factory loaded Hornady 55gr v-max it measures 2.330. If you have some factory ammo measure it and see what you come up with. You could also try seating the bullets in rounds that wont chamber a few thousandths deeper and see if it fixes the problem. Can you find any difference in any measurements in the ones that will chamber and the ones that wont? Assuming your FL die is made to the correct dimensions and they are not severely worn I would think it would be a length issue. What gun, bullets, ect do you have?
    Last edited by Musket Man; 04-27-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Are there any interference marks (Shiny spot that have rubbed 0n the barrel or chamber) on the case or bullet that would indicate where your problem is?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do not see any visible marks but I will check again. I am loading 30-06 rounds using federal brass and 180 grain nosler partitions and ballistic silvertips. Thank you all so much

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jerm8352 View Post
    I do not see any visible marks but I will check again. I am loading 30-06 rounds using federal brass and 180 grain nosler partitions and ballistic silvertips. Thank you all so much
    Is it only 1 of those bullets you are having the issue with?
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No, its both, thats why I am so confused

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do you have any factory loaded ammo you can measure and compare to what you reloaded? You could also try an empty case after you resize it in the chamber to see if it is an issue with case size. Are you sure your caliper is accurate?
    Keystone 1, Over!