Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rifle for mule deer hunt.

Looking for opinions on what rifle to use on a mule deer hunt I have scheduled for this October. I typically carry a Rem Model 70 Mountain rifle in 30-06, nice light weight rifle but not the best shooter. This years hunt will be a little different, it's a very sought after limited draw tag and I want to make sure my rifle is up to the task. I have a 257 Weatherby, a 7MM Rem Mag and a 300 Weatherby Mag plus the 30-06 to choose from. I'm not a hand loader so I'll be experimenting with different loads for the rifle I choose. Any and all opinions and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    All of your options will get the job done. Pick the one you shoot the best and go hunting!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Shot placement is more important than caliber. Use the one you're more accurate with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Humblesmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    All of your options will get the job done. Pick the one you shoot the best and go hunting!
    What he said!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    Yep....and then spend lots of time at the range.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot them all equally. The possibility of a 300 yard plus shot will be there and I will spend the needed time at the range. I will be hunting big country with the chance at a big buck. All that being said with a prime tag in your pocket, which gun do you carry?

JD

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdan9 View Post
    I shoot them all equally. The possibility of a 300 yard plus shot will be there and I will spend the needed time at the range. I will be hunting big country with the chance at a big buck. All that being said with a prime tag in your pocket, which gun do you carry?

JD
    I would use the one I'm most comfortable with, if you shoot them enough you will figure it out. I'm not big on shooting past 300, but when I think I will be, I typically use my 300 win mag. Mainly because it has a 4X12 scope on it. My other rifle is a 25-06 it will get the job done too but I only have a 3x9 on it. (I did kill my antelope last year with the 25-06 @ 330 yards though) It's not the caliber as much as it is how you shoot and how the rifle shoots for you. Have fun on your hunt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I would use the one I'm most comfortable with, if you shoot them enough you will figure it out. It's not the caliber as much as it is how you shoot and how the rifle shoots for you.
    Totally agree! I shoot a 25-06 for everything deer sized and smaller and my .300 Wby for elk and larger. I also had a .257 Wby that shot well too.

Not reloading and only shooting factory ammo does not allow you to optimize the performance of any rifle or caliber. It is also pretty expensive to do a lot of practice, which I believe is mandatory form anyone to become a great shot. There is not substitute for actual shooting.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    What scopes do you have on each of them? That and weight might help you decide. What do you mean by the 30-06 is not the best shooter?
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdan9 View Post

JD
    jdan9,

All other things aside, I would take the 7mm with great optics. I would also spend considerable time working on your maximum point blank range with good ammo. I like the Hornady superformance in 139 grain SST or Interbond. A 300 yard shot is a chip shot with this gun and ammo combo. I like a 6 inch kill zone sight in so I find the zero that allows my maximum height to be 3" high. Your maximum point blank range will be where your bullet drops to 3" low. I'm guessing yours would be about 320 yards with a zero around 250 yards. For a 400 yard shot (on level ground) you can hold just a freckle high and still be good. Learn your gun and spend time at the range and this combination will surprise you. 500 yard shots are very doable for the average shooter that puts the time in to practice. All of this said, every round you mention would work fine. The 7mm is just a touch flatter so it extends you MPBR a little further.