Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So far we are all looking at the result of what was reloaded. Recheck your equipment. What type of tool and dies are you using? How old is everything and are your dies nice and clean inside, same with your shellholder. Just trying to work your way up to the result from the starting point.

Need to start eliminating the variables and this is the starting point.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 04-28-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jerm8352 View Post
    Sorry about leaving out info. The cartridges are all the same brand and all have only been shot in my rifle. I shot them once, full length resized them. (Probably shouldnt have done that but I am a newbie) trimmed them all to a uniform length and then primed, charged and seated a bullet. I used all the same components but some chamber easily and some do not. How do I find out what the problem is?

Thank you for all the help.
    Although it is not very common, some of your comments suggest that you may have an out of round chamber i.e. some chamber easily and some do not. This can be checked by measuring the diameter of the case body, or (better choice) have a gunsmith make a chamber cast of your chamber, and measure it for you. Another possibility is that you are stretching the case body after sizing. Are you brushing the inside of the case neck before resizing. If the case is hard to pull over the expander ball, or you hear a shriek when pulling the case over the expander ball, case stretch is a definite possibility. Try brushing the inside of the case with a bronze or nylon brush that you have sprayed with one of the wax type case lubes (Hornady, Lee), or dust it with a dry lube like Motor Mica.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks everyone for the help. I will check out all this stuff later this week. This is a fun but tough thing to start doing without having someone around to show you the ropes.

The dies and equipment are all less than a year old. I did not really brush out the cases so that could be part of the problem.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Maybe you guys have mentioned this and I am newer to reloading so the technical names will probably not be correct. How about a problem with seating the bullet and actually compressing the shoulder ever so slightly. This could be giving him the right overall length measurement, but the bulge that is made in the shoulder will be why they are not chambering. Is he possible bottoming out the neck on the collet?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme minnesotan View Post
    Maybe you guys have mentioned this and I am newer to reloading so the technical names will probably not be correct. How about a problem with seating the bullet and actually compressing the shoulder ever so slightly. This could be giving him the right overall length measurement, but the bulge that is made in the shoulder will be why they are not chambering. Is he possible bottoming out the neck on the collet?
    Possible, but if the die is the problem, I would expect all of the reloaded ammo to be a problem, not just some of them.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme minnesotan View Post
    The process of seating the bullet shouldn't cause what you're stating and if it was there should be visible signs on the brass. The OP says there are no signs that he can see and this would lead one to believe that it is strictly a matter of the bullets needing to be seated a hair more into the casing because the ogive is hitting the lands. The brass has only been fired in the one rifle, so he wouldn't even need to do a full resize after just one or two firings, but rather just a neck sizing so the next bullet will be held firmly in the brass when it's loaded. The only thing in the resizing process that could be causing it is if the die isn't set properly and the shoulder of the brass is hitting the chamber. That can't be determined by just checking the overall length of a loaded round, but rather the actual sizing process and die setting needs to be looked at to see if that might be the cause. My gut feeling is still that the bullets just need to be seated a hair deeper into the case and that's what I would do by turning the seating die down a very fine amount and running the rounds back through. If that doesn't correct the problem, then it has to be the brass.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 04-29-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Did you deburr the cases after trimming?
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I did deburr the brass. I will turn the bullet seating die down a little bit, run the batch through and see what happens. Thanks so much.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Keep us posted...
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I readjusted the seating die and ran some dummy rounds and these seemed to be much better. I put the already loaded rounds through the seating die again and they seemed to be much better. I will fine tune the seating die before the next batch. Looks like I will have to go shooting this week. Thanks for all the help and I will probably be on here again when I try setting up my dies for neck sizing the 30-06, 300 win mag, and after I break in my new AR 15!

Thanks!