Thread: Leupold VX-6

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Leupold VX-6

I am not very savvy when it comes to optics, so keep any responses nice and simple for me.

First:
    I have a VXII 4-12 in for some service right now. I am seriously looking at the VX-6 for its 3-18 mag range. I am not convinced that I want to carry a spotting scope, so I want to be able to use the rifle scope to get a better look on an animal out there a ways. I am not a hardcore trophy hunter, so i don't care to get into as much detail on a rack as some of you guys. What does everyone think of this VX-6. I am pretty committed to Leupold. They are not just American made, they are about 40 minutes from my house.

Second:
    I have seen multipliers that go on binoculars. Why don't the major optics builders make multipliers that spin onto a scope. I believe this would be an easy way to get a look at something way off to help make a decision on "go or not".

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think you'd almost be better off getting a small spotter like the Vortex Razr 11-33x50 and a super light tripod vs dumping the coin for a VX6. I've never liked trying to look at animals a long ways off in a rifle scope. And with having a tripod you can use a bino attachment to stabilize your bino's when glassing, I started doing this a few years ago and it's the cats meow for looking through bino's if your gonna be sitting down and watching things for a while.
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    And I'm not trying to push Vortex, I just think they hit the nail on the head with this little spotter!!
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    I think you'd almost be better off getting a small spotter like the Vortex Razr 11-33x50 and a super light tripod vs dumping the coin for a VX6. I've never liked trying to look at animals a long ways off in a rifle scope. And with having a tripod you can use a bino attachment to stabilize your bino's when glassing, I started doing this a few years ago and it's the cats meow for looking through bino's if your gonna be sitting down and watching things for a while.
    I see where you are at totally. I went without a spotter all last year, and I was questioning whether I really wanted one. The angled razor 50 is definitely the one I would be going with. If they fix up the 4-12 to my liking, then I may get the small spotter back in my think tank. I already have a small tripod that is just right for sitting. The razor 50 would be less investment than a VX-6.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Get a spotter. I cant stand people that use a scope in place of binos or a spotter! A good pair of 10X binos would show almost as much detail as that scope, more in some conditions. Its not all about magnification.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Get a spotter. I cant stand people that use a scope in place of binos or a spotter! A good pair of 10X binos would show almost as much detail as that scope, more in some conditions. Its not all about magnification.
    It sounds like I am trying too hard to cut weight in the wrong place. I am also a cheap-ass!! I may look at mounting up the binos and see how i like that. It may be nice for this year, and I can save up some cash. Thanks for the tidbit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Buy good glass, you will never regret it and while a spotter does add some weight I have never regretted packing it either. To this day my father will not let me put a scope on the 243 he gave me because "people use then instead of binos" .
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with everyone else to get a spotter or good binos and if you are worried about weight look elsewhere. If for no other reason then safety. I still remember this rule like yesterday from hunters safety. Point your gun only at what you intend to shoot whether it is loaded or not. If your looking through a rifle scope attached to your gun you risk pointing it at a lot of unintended targets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I appreciate everyone's input. I grew up hunting with dad with nothing but the gun in your hand. The only optic we ever had as kids was the scope on the gun. I realize the importance of this flaw. Time to sack up and get a spotter!!