Thread: Zeiss Dialyt

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 6 Posts

Zeiss Dialyt

Anybody here have experience with this spotting scope? I am debating if I want to take it for bear season and want some more feed back. This scope is an office favorite because it can take some serious abuse and keeps on working. What say you?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can't help much, but I'd be real interested in what you find if you try one. I am also looking at this scope. The reviews I've read match what you say, very tough and durable. They say they don't match the 2k+ spotters in color contrast but have great clarity. They also say they are usable handheld or over a pack for a hurried look, they don't absolutely have to have a tripod set up each time. I already have an ED50, I'm trying to decide if I want this for a bigger scope or if I should step up to a 65mm Swaro.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have posted about it before, but I have used this scope some.

The optics were very good, but high end scopes with ED objectives have an edge in CA control. Eye relief was kind of limited.

It is probably the most solid feeling spotter I have used.

Makes for a great multi-purpose backpacking gear choice. You can glass AND pound your tent stakes in with it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good stuff Matt!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Love the comments on the scope Matt! I have used this spotter a ton and absolutely love it. It is absolutely bomb proof! I'm really hard on stuff and this thing keeps working perfectly. It's s great mix of a backpacking spotter and an all around spotter to use in all settings.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I posted the below information on a previous thread. You might find it helpful.

I have owned a 65mm Dialyt for two years. I'm no expert on optics or spotters, but I have used a few over the years. I have been very happy with this spotter. What I like best are the quality of optics, the rubber armouring which helps make it very tough, and its streamlined design. Its streamlined design allows it to pack easily. It is a little heavy, but the advantage in optically quality is worth the weight. I have noticed the short eye relief, so I always use it with the rubber eyecup rolled down. It works fine for me that way. I am not totally thrilled about the focusing adjustment located on the objective. Seems like you impart some shaking or wobble onto the spotter whenever you make fine focusing adjustments, but it's not a deal breaker. I would replace it with another Dialyt if something happened to this one. One other good thing about it are the large and snug fitting rubber lens covers that come with it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    To keep conversation going on this here is an excerpt from the EHJ 141 on the Zeiss Dialyt:

Simply put, this scope is bombproof! I’ve addressed the fact that I’m hard on equipment in several articles in EHJ and EBJ, and the Dialyt from Zeiss may be the first spotting scope that is officially Brandon-proof.

The Dialyt is Zeiss’s answer for the backpacking hunter that wants a lightweight, yet extremely durable scope that verges on premium spotting scope performance.

The focusing ring is incorporated into the housing at the objective end of the scope and is vastly different than most scope but extremely user friendly. Its straight tubular lines make it the easiest scope of the bunch to slip in and out of a backpack pocket/sleeve without getting hung up.

The biggest factor that leads to the durability of the Dialyt is its Monobloc construction. There’s no eyepiece to come loose and no connection points for moisture and dust to creep in.

On a backcountry hunt in 2012, I packed in another brand’s super-lightweight scope. It rained on us the first two days of the trip. We finally made it to our destination and set up the spotting scope to glass, only to find out that moisture made its way in between the eyepiece and the main body of the scope, rendering it useless. Packing that scope into the backcountry and then not being able to use it made a HUGE impression on me. It set me on a journey to find a bombproof spotter and I found the solution in the Dialyt.

If you want a tough spotting scope that performs at a high level, can handle the most extreme hunts on the planet and falls into that “save up for it” mid-range category, look no further.