Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 8 Posts

Floorless Shelters, who uses them?

I converted to floorless shelters a couple of years ago and really like them. Different makes and models have been used around the office. Here are some Black Diamonds that Guy used in Alaska.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Some really love their tipi style shelters:

Others really love the tarp style for cutting weight:

Personally I have used the LBO and several tipis from SO:

How many of you have used floorless shelters in the past? If so what makes, models, etc? What were your favorite parts of using them and what didn't you like?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Snakes love them!
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I just add a nest if in snake country. Most high country around here has no issues

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Agreed Kevin!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Floorless shelters seem to be getting a lot of attention these day's. Honestly, I keep asking myself why? I can't see a whole lot of benefits other than possibly some weight savings but can see lots of negatives. Wet ground, wind flowing in through the bottom, creepy crawlers etc, etc. Maybe I'm missing something? For those of you who actually have used them... what would you say the advantages are over using a standard tent with a floor in it? Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Full disclosure , I own a floor less shelter manufacturer but I try to be objective in my discussions. We have both options when adding a nest but I rarely use a nest (which is a fully enclosed inner tent). I use a nest in real dirty country ( sand sometimes ) when I expect snakes ( maybe in the desert) and to keep my dogs of my gear ( only sometimes and if I have the whole pack). For high country outings I go floor less all the time to save weight and so I don't have to worry about having shoes on dirt etc. Floorless is just much simpler and lighter. I find a ground sheet pretty much does the trick with wet ground but honestly I rarely use those either. I simply pitch the tent and thrown down my sleep gear and call it good. I often cook in my tent , I don't worry about spilled water or even if my shoes are on or off. The nests ( inner tents ) are fine, and sometimes I use them, but in the last year I would put that at 2 or 3 times. In fact the last two desert trips I did were Floorless and sleeping under the stars if weather was good. Overall and this is my opinion, outside of weight savings I really like the simplicity. Floors are not a fix all, they are prone to holes, limit where you can pitch a tent, can leak water in a port selected location, will pool water if you spill something , and often accumulate dirt and bugs anyway. Floorless is generally easier and more hassle free.'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love floorless shelters for cold weather, or for any weather at altitude. For warm to hot weather here in the Southeast I like hammocks a lot. I try to take whatever shelter makes sense for the conditions I'll be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For me: Going floor less makes things so much easier when you want your boots on or want to make dinner or need to fire up the titanium stove or store some fire wood, or about any activity other than sleeping really. I just use a super light weight ground cloth if needed where I sleep or where I need to keep something free from dirt. It also makes camp tear down faster because you don't have to sweep out or clean off the tent floor before rolling the tent up tightly. It is hard to imagine it being better but in practical use it is much better here in the Colorado / Wyoming mountains anyway.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hammocks would be great for certain situations too. Still no floor though.