Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Arrow That time of year!!

Well its that time of year again. Tags are starting to be drawn and looking at the calender I start thinking about the season coming up. Like the past few years I am always trying ways to get the pack weight down a little before season. This year I sold or gave away a bunch of older stuff and put that money towards a few new Items to help with the pack weight. Last season I decided that this year I wanted to go with a two man tent instead of my one man. So I searched for a two man tent that weighed close to the same weight as my one man tent. My one man tent with stakes and poles weighed in at 3 lbs. 10 oz. For this season I ended up going with the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 which came in very close to the same weight, Packed weight is 3 lbs. 2 oz. So even though it has 1/3rd more floor space it is 8oz lighter.
    Something else I did for this year was change packs. I sold a few of my packs and I went from a pack that weighed in at 9 lbs. 2 oz. with accessories to a pack that weighs in at 6 lbs. 13 oz. with accessories. Along with the weight savings the new pack is super comfortable at full pack weight.
    Last year my 7 day pack in weight was 58lb which included bow arrows and binoculars. this year I am trying to get that weight down to sub 50lbs. I am guessing the weight will be hovering in the 50 lb range when all is said and done. This is a big change for me since two years ago I was pushing 75lbs for a 7-10 day pack. I will post a list as I start putting everything together for hunting season. Right now with the few changes so far I have a net weight savings of 2 lbs. 13 oz. Doesn't sound like much but I think it is a good start on getting the weight down.

It would be nice to see what others here are packing in plus weights for their 5 day or 7 day trips.
    Post up what you are packing in!
    Last edited by 25contender; 04-29-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    What pack where you using and what did you replace it with?
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    What pack where you using and what did you replace it with?
    I had a few packs but the one I used the past few years was The Eberlestock J34 with the Super Spike Duffel and some PAL webbing accessories.
    I replaced it with The Kifaru DT1 With the bikini frame, Hunting XTL Top Lid, and a few side pouches.

Lighter and more cubic inches.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Very cool. Those Eberlestock are just plane heavy empty. I stopped using mine a few years back. I went with the Badlands and it has worked out much better. Kifaru def has caught my eye.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Very cool. Those Eberlestock are just plane heavy empty. I stopped using mine a few years back. I went with the Badlands and it has worked out much better. Kifaru def has caught my eye.
    I have done a few 60lb hikes with the new pack and really like it. Feels like I am carrying 15lbs less weight then the Ebelrestock with the same weight..

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I felt the same way. We joke about the Eberle. Go in heavy, come out heavier. Lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IKIC, what Badlands pack are you using?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I felt the same way. We joke about the Eberle. Go in heavy, come out heavier. Lol
    I have a J107 and feel the same way! That 9+ lbs dry weight is getting harder and harder to tote around each fall. The scabbard is great, but I don't like the way that it contributes to the pack pulling backwards under a heavy load. I have the load lifters maxed out and can still not get the pack to ride the way I'd like it to. With 50+ lbs in the pack, it feels like there is a bowling ball back there.

I've had my eyes on the Kifaru and Stone Glacier packs. It would be really nice to essentially halve my pack weight for the same cubic inches, but man they are expensive!! Good equipment never comes cheap, but I don't think I'll have the funds to upgrade to one of them this year. I'll keep dreaming though.

IKC - what Badlands pack do you use? The 4800 has never seemed to be big enough for me for extended 5+ day trips. I love to fill my pack, and 4800 ci never seems to be enough! I like to double my pack use too and use my regular pack as a day pack. That is one feature that I love about the J107, and since I'm not carrying near the load on a day hunt, the heavier weight doesn't both me so much there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used a J34 last year. That is a heavy pack and it felt like it sagged and pulled me back when I had a load in it. I sold it and bought a Kuiu Icon 5200. Hoping it works much better this October. Also, I am looking closely at the Mountain Hardware Skyledge 2 tent. Reviews seem very positive on this tent

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will be posting my new list with weights soon. I have been doing a little revamping for this years season. mark