Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gout

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MT dreaming View Post
    Right you all are. Hardstalk it has been called a "rich mans disease" because in midevil times only the very wealthy who could afford to eat a very rich heavy diet suffered with it. Its a mystery why I get it!! I talked with my doctor about allopurinol but he is hesitant to put me on a daily med for something that only flairs up every once and a while. My dad had to take allopurinol. I may have to eventually. My doctor seems to think for me it is several factors coming together all at the same time to create the "perfect storm"- diet (too much red meat and pork), alchohol, heredity and dehydration.
    I have read about the cherry extract as a treatment and may give it a try. I have seen the capsule/tablet but not liquid. Hey Shootbrownelk where did you get it- pharmacy, grocery or health food store? Thanks
    I got it on-line. I forget the place. I'll look it up. I bought a case, it lasts forever. I mix about a shot glass of the extract with 7-up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It sucks. A fan blowing on it wants to make you scream. I cut beer out completely and cut the soda way down too

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    My Dr told me it is mostly inherited, but diet can play a big factor. In my case, don't really know as no one in my family has it. I don't eat a lot of red meat and don't drink much (12 pac of MGD lasts me a month!). I also havn't had an attack in 5 years or so. You are right tho...it is really painful.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started getting gout in high school and have been battling it every since. I used to be able to combat it with regulating my diet but am looking at getting on allipurinol full time. I eat lots and lots of poultry and when I decide to cheat I cannot mix a juicy med-rare rib eye with an ice cold refreshing beer! Anything with oats seams to instantly set off a flare up and also asparagus! It seems to always hit me when I have a hunting trip planned or a vacation. I would not wish this on my worst enemy! Those of you who suffer from gout would probably agree.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by losthelegend View Post
    I started getting gout in high school and have been battling it every since. I used to be able to combat it with regulating my diet but am looking at getting on allipurinol full time. I eat lots and lots of poultry and when I decide to cheat I cannot mix a juicy med-rare rib eye with an ice cold refreshing beer! Anything with oats seams to instantly set off a flare up and also asparagus! It seems to always hit me when I have a hunting trip planned or a vacation. I would not wish this on my worst enemy! Those of you who suffer from gout would probably agree.
    Don't battle it, get your doctor to put you on "Allipurinol" A.S.A.P. and buy some cherry extract (google it) I haven't had a flare-up in 20 years. Good luck to you Legend.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Don't battle it, get your doctor to put you on "Allipurinol" A.S.A.P. and buy some cherry extract (google it) I haven't had a flare-up in 20 years. Good luck to you Legend.
    Do you notice many side effects?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MT dreaming View Post
    Right you all are. Hardstalk it has been called a "rich mans disease" because in midevil times only the very wealthy who could afford to eat a very rich heavy diet suffered with it. Its a mystery why I get it!! I talked with my doctor about allopurinol but he is hesitant to put me on a daily med for something that only flairs up every once and a while. My dad had to take allopurinol. I may have to eventually. My doctor seems to think for me it is several factors coming together all at the same time to create the "perfect storm"- diet (too much red meat and pork), alchohol, heredity and dehydration.
    I have read about the cherry extract as a treatment and may give it a try. I have seen the capsule/tablet but not liquid. Hey Shootbrownelk where did you get it- pharmacy, grocery or health food store? Thanks
    Mt. the last supply I got was from Kewaskum Frozen Foods in Kewaskum,Wisconsin. They have a website, it's cherry extract liquid.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Messed up my AZ Antelope hunt...

had they had a tag return option I probably would have... I called/tried.

I had a quick recovery, but still... missed the 1st week/opener...

from what I've gathered.... stress, diet, overweight, etc... esp pork...
    Last edited by HuskyMusky; 09-24-2014 at 05:16 PM.