Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Residents & General Deer Regions

Word on the street is that G&F is talking about making residents choose a region to hunt for general deer, just like they do to the outta staters. I hunt three different regions so you can probably guess that I'm not a fan of the idea. What say you?
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Can't say I agree with it 100%, but it will help take some of the pressure off the high profile regions, G, H and K. They have been talking about it for a few years now, and I think it is coming soon. Maybe not this year, but probably next or the year after. When they changed all of those Platte River Valley units to limited quota, they now have to do something to curb the resident pressure in the generals. It should be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I think eventually the residents will be faced with choosing a two week deer season at the end of September in the Gray's River and then they will be done hunting deer for the year in WY. That might change some things.

It might help Region F also.

Changes are headed our way it sounds like.

G-
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree with Guy, cant say I agree with it a 100% but more than glad they are trying to do something, long time coming hope they keep making changes to get are quality to the status we all know Wyoming is capable of.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The G&F is really between a rock and a hard place with everyone complaining about the lower deer numbers and the pressure put on them in a lot of areas. They can only cut back the number of us NRs so far and then it comes down to the residents having to decide whether they want to help the herds or keep on pounding away with those various general season tags where a guy can go from spot to spot and hunt an awful lot of days. I do believe that Wyoming is going to have to either cut some of the days off these seasons, make them all concurrent so a guy can't go all over, or do what the OP mentioned is in the wind. IMHO picking one area is the best option to try initially and then go from there with the other options, if necessary.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 04-30-2014 at 07:05 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Before the Game & Fish shorten G&H seasons...again...they should go to 4 point only. They've been shortening seasons since the 90's with no increases in deer numbers. This "tool" has proven to be a complete failure.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    The bottom line is that only approximately 30 out of 160 areas are on a true limited quota basis in the state, meaning the only way to hunt for a buck in the area is to draw a tag, allowing the residents free reign over much of the state via OTC licenses. I really don't see how they can shorten the seasons any more than they already have, so the next logical step for improving heard quality lies in either making more LQ-only areas or confining General seasons to regions, which is essentially a parallel thought process. There was another species in Wyoming, the Antelope, which was in dire condition in the mid-1900's until they made all of the residents draw licenses through the LQ system, which in turn allowed the species to bounce back in regions where they were struggling, and continue to thrive in regions where they were doing well. All in all, we're approaching the point where something really has to be done in order to improve the heard qualities in the state.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WY ME View Post
    Before the Game & Fish shorten G&H seasons...again...they should go to 4 point only. They've been shortening seasons since the 90's with no increases in deer numbers. This "tool" has proven to be a complete failure.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein
    Sorry, but studies all over have shown that point restrictions have no bearing on what we're talking about. The G&F has done that in various areas and still has some under that restriction and it doesn't do anything to increase overall numbers. If you don't have a decent amount of does a few more quality bucks isn't going to help anything other than appease a few trophy hunters.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 04-30-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am really not trying to suck up to any game wardens that might be reading this, but having lived in a couple of different states, I think the Wyoming G and F does a really good job of keeping the balance between sportmen and game management. Like Topgun said, they are between a rock and a hard place. The herds in G and H have been declining steadily for quite a while from the way the old timers talk, so I would be willing to look at picking a region. It would probably save some gas money instead of driving all over the state. Libid...timmy, (I have been trying to say that for a while, won't even try to spell it,you should put that on a t-shirt for a well-endowed girl) has a good point about the antelope. They are limited quota but except for a few trophy areas they are pretty much a guaranteed tag, and you can get leftovers every year it seems like. I really don't think that kind of proposal will affect me personally a whole lot. I will still probably be able to get a tag where I want, and maybe in a few years I have a better chance at one of those 30" wide jobbers that look really good on the wall. I would rather areas be limited quota or choose a region or whatever than shorter seasons because I never know when I can go.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 04-30-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WY ME View Post

Albert Einstein
    4 point or better is also a complete failure.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 8 Posts
    3 point or better is a better way to go when looking at antler restriction. By and in large these kind of efforts are usually only good for the short term.

I am ok with having to pick a region, the 3 week season that we have now in many places works IMO. I can hunt two separate opening days if I wanted and that isn't a good thing for pressure.