Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 6 Posts
    I assume if they make residents choose a region, then it would have to be via a draw...correct? If not, then I would think that certain regions would be pounded with residents while others would only have crickets chirping in the background. Unless they allowed the residents to pick the region well in advance of the non-resident draw, but that would likely not work out to well either.

Im not sure current game management/politics can bring back muley numbers significantly, I would guess a drastic measure would need to take place that would likely bankrupt G@F and tick off a lot of people.

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with most of you. The antler restrictions for the most part, do not work. We had them for years here in Park, CO and all it did was perpetuate the crappy three point gene. Some of the areas around here are still suffering from maxed out three point bucks from it.

My guess, is they will make you decide at the point of purchase what your region will be. They used to do it in MT that way, choose your region when you buy the tag and the computer prints out a tag for that region only, much like the NR tags are now.

After researching and digging into the WY deer herd issues more and more each year, I really think the roads and fences are playing a major role in our deer herd drops. The gas and oil development in Western Wyoming on the winter range has had a huge effect on those deer. I'm certainly not a biologist, but I can do math pretty well, and on some of the roads I travel on regularly, I have been tracking the deer kill over a one year period, and it is massive. I know that in area 117 for example they are killing three or four times more deer on the highway and road systems than they are during the hunting season. I think the fences alone in that area are killing as many or possibly more deer than the hunting quota. If the rest of the state is that way, we have a huge problem on our hands, that is completely out of the G&F control. Not good at all.

Just a few cents from a dusty keyboard in WY.

G-
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Those are some interesting points to bring up about roadkill and fences. Are they looking at doing anything like the crossings and bridges they put in around Pinedale for the future in the 117 area? I don't have all the information, but the Jonah field was kept under pretty tight wraps from the sage grouse and other things for quite a while. I haven't really heard if things have improved by Pinedale for the deer herds. Do you have any information on that subject?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    Encroachment by all the things Guy mentioned, along with bad winters and drought, are all big factors in the herd numbers and very little can be done by the G&F to solve those problems, so it''s not just the budget issue where they are between a rock and a hard place!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Encroachment by all the things Guy mentioned, along with bad winters and drought, are all big factors in the herd numbers and very little can be done by the G&F to solve those problems, so it''s not just the budget issue where they are between a rock and a hard place!
    And then there is the increasingly efficient modern hunter who can shoot with great accuracy out past 500 yards with the right setup and he can know just far the shot will be. No guessing. Add to that the fact the mule deer are more popular than ever. Seems like everyone wants a slice of pie and are going to unprecedented lengths to get it. After all, Killing the big one will bring him all the applause and praise from the hunting public. You killed a 30er? You must be a great hunter . . .

Traditional ways to limit harvest will likely continue to be employed, such as reduced seasons (can't do that much more), or choose your region or more limited quota. The platte valley will be a good experiment, but I think tag numbers are high enough that a marked increase will probably not happen . . .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    plus disease... I was reading about elk calf mortality on feedgrounds because of disease and mule deer have been having their own trouble, plus competing with whitetails. I was reading that this winter was a tough one because of the freeze thaw making a crust on the snow and cutting elk legs and feet and breeding disease in the cuts. I didn't read about the mule deer having the same problem, but mule deer have plenty of their own diseases to battle.

I think it was the DOT that did all the bridges and crossings, and the EPA was big in keeping down the rig count in the Jonah field. The air pollution deal has a lot of studies going on. I certainly don't know what the answer is or have any suggestions for the game and fish, but they are in a tough spot for sure.

I mostly go on armed hikes instead of hunting, so that might be why I am not terribly upset about the looming prospect of picking a region or whatever is around the corner.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 05-01-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    In the 90's deer hunting in colorado pretty much sucked we had three day buck seasons which failed, 3 point restrictions that failed. In the end when they went to a limited quota statewide the deer numbers and quality dramatically improved. Now the deer are facing greater challenges than they were then but limiting the licenses may be the best alternative. I can still hunt deer every year even though it might not be my first choice, but hey it's still deer hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Guy: I just learned how to get to the blog you have posted on the subject. In the future I will try to read those first so I am a little more informed. Sorry about that, thanks.