Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    The 15x binos will be used with a tripod.
    Mcseal,
    If you are looking at the 15X56 exclusively for tripod use and you are also looking at the Swarovski ATS65 spotter with the 20-50WA,
    I'd go with the spotting scope. Like I said I have both and I purchased the 15X as carry binos (by no means back country carry).
    If the primary use is long range glassing for hours go with the spotter.
    If you need the flexibility of using a tripod or glassing without a tripod the 15X56 might be better.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OregonJim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post
    I look at the 15x binos and spotter as fitting different niches, not one replacing the other for me. I had Minox BL 13x56 BR binos for a while so I have an idea of where I will and will not use the big eyes. One of the main uses I had was for scouting whitetail around home. The area I hunt has a lot of pasture with fields along the creek bottoms. I used the big binos a great deal from the vehicle finding and evaluating bucks from vantage points. I really liked the big binos for checking out bucks before early muzzle loader season when the hot temps had them moving really late. I was often looking 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile at bucks. I found by running the truck window to the right height and resting on it I could get steady enough for judging antlers at that distance. I also used them off my tripod for finding and evaluating deer on areas I hiked into not visible from roads. Sometimes I paired them with the ED50 for higher magnification but often I could see what I needed to with the binos on my tripod. I traded them off with the intention of replacing them with a set of 15x Kaibabs or Swaros and just haven't ever done it yet. I really missed having binos with more than 10x on my last antelope hunt, I know I want another set. I like to get to my antelope area a couple days before opening day to scout from the vehicle, check the condition of the waterholes I know, etc. and would use them then also. Having big binos and a larger spotter for use from the vehicle would also let me have my ED50 and tripod all ready in my Eberlestock so once I find an animal I want to make a stalk on I'm all packed up and ready to roll. No time wasted putting stuff in or out, just throw the pack on and go. I still have the ED50 if I decide when I get closer I need to evaluate the animal further to make sure I want him.

The Kaibabs are expensive, but not nearly as expensive as the other optics I'm looking at. I'm thinking of carrying them in the vehicle during scouting season around home (ranch trucks are hard on optics) and leaving the other optics in the safe except for hunts and times I know I'll want a spotter. Working on the ranch I get unplanned opportunities to scout, so I like to have some good optics with me in the fall. I just don't want to carry any more high dollar stuff around than I have to in a truck to get dirty, bounced, or stolen.

For hunts where weight matters more I'll likely pack the 10x42 Swaro ranging binos and either the ED50 or Swaro ATS65 depending on what I'm after and how picky I want to be. Where I elk hunt, anything over 320" and mature I will be trying for. I do a lot of hiking and glassing with the binos from different angles and use the spotter primarily for evaluating animals I've already spotted. I've been very happy with the ED50 for that sort of thing. If I draw a great muley tag where I coyote out I'd probably pack the extra ounces of the ATS65. I could go with an 80 or 85mm spotter also since I already have the ED50, but I don't think I'd use that big a spotter except from the vehicle or on short walks.

When the wife goes too I'll still have the 10x42 Zeiss for her to use or for me to take as back-up in case something happens to my Swaro ranging binos. Anytime I leave the state, or even the county, on a hunt I want back-ups just in case. I'll also likely use them shed hunting, anytime I'm not packing a rifle and needing the rangefinding option, since they are a bit lighter and seem to fit my eyes very well. They will let me keep the Swaros in the safe more also and in better condition in case I decide to upgrade to newer technology and trade someday down the road.
    Last edited by mcseal2; 05-06-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 5 Posts
    I have sawro 10x42's before the range model came out and love them. I also bought last year the vortex I believe the Vortex 11x 33x 50 angled spotter, which I love, it's worth the look and Vortex has the best warranty. Good luck shopping. I also chipped in for my hunting partner last year for Vortex talons 10x42's a lot less $ but no range finding.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sneakypete For This Useful Post: