Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thor Bullets

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have an Accura V2. I can load FPB's which I measure out of the box at .503 with not too much effort. A Thor that measures .501 will not go at all. A .500 Thor goes down about right and measures .499 when it comes out the other end. I haven't shot the Thors yet but hope they shoot better than the FPB's do for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    The FPB's only measure that at the back. Up farther they measure .497 or something. I think the thin skirt is designed to crush down slightly to fit your bore and that is why they fit most barrels. My knight shot them pretty well when I used them in CO a couple years ago.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    The FPB's only measure that at the back. Up farther they measure .497 or something. I think the thin skirt is designed to crush down slightly to fit your bore and that is why they fit most barrels. My knight shot them pretty well when I used them in CO a couple years ago.
    You are right MM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do Thors measure .501 or whatever size they are all the way to where they taper down at the tip?
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really don't know as I've only measured them from the base up about 25% of the length and they are pretty consistent.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just went and measured both. As MM said the FPB's measure .503 at the base and .497 about 1/3 of the way towards the tip. At the very base the thickness of the jacket in that base cup is .060".
    The Thors measure the same in the middle @ .497 but the thickness of the wall or jacket in the cup is .040".
    I did not measure the depth of the cup but will do that next.
    Off topic - am currently shooting 90 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209. How much should I expect the group sizes to change as I increase the powder charge? I expect not much. Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to canvsbk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by canvsbk View Post
    I just went and measured both. As MM said the FPB's measure .503 at the base and .497 about 1/3 of the way towards the tip. At the very base the thickness of the jacket in that base cup is .060".
    The Thors measure the same in the middle @ .497 but the thickness of the wall or jacket in the cup is .040".
    I did not measure the depth of the cup but will do that next.
    Off topic - am currently shooting 90 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209. How much should I expect the group sizes to change as I increase the powder charge? I expect not much. Thanks
    My experience is that you have to try yourself. MLs are similar to regular smokeless loading....every gun is different and there is no way to know until you actually get to the range. What shoots for me in my ML, may not shoot the same for you. If you have a chrono, I would take it and get some velocities for each load.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I take the blame for hijacking this thread...
    Yes, I have a chrono and next week will use it and some load testing with both the Thors and FBB's. This is a Colorado elk gun so you are aware of the variables. That being said I also intend to shoot some TMZ's just to see how they'll do to.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to canvsbk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    110 grains of BH209 and the TMZ shoot really well in my Encore. Move up or down 10 grains and its not nearly as stable. On the flip side, the Expander ML likes 100 grains. Both have been very lethal on deer. Seriously, I've not had one take another step yet. I'm interested in these Thor bullets now that you guys had to bring them up lol.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think Im going to have to order some Thore's to try them even though I didnt draw my CO tag and I can use a sabot here. I need to take it out and play with some loads. I wasnt real happy with it last year when I switched to musket caps to be legal here but I killed a deer that never even kicked with the only shot I have ever fired at a deer with a musket cap at about 100 yards so I guess I cant complain to much!