Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Buffalo Hunting - Need Advice

The trophy species results came out today and I'm going Buffalo hunting! ...but only because my buddy drew a tag. I grew up hunting in WY, but he's fairly new to hunting big game (his only experience is w/Texas whitetails over feeders) so I wanted to get all the info I could. And I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who could benefit from some expertise of those who've been on this hunt.

When's the best time of year? I don't know if we can choose or if the WGFD assigns us a time. We're both in school so December/January is what we're hoping for. We also want to avoid Grizzlies and he wants a rug made out of the hide - so again hoping for late season.

Is hunting limited just to the Elk Refuge? I know the Teton Nat'l Park is off limits, but what about the Bridger Teton Nat'l Forrest along the Refuge's eastern border - is hunting buffalo there allowed (granted they even go there)?

Also curious about everyone's experience taking care of the animal once it's down and what method you think is best for field dressing. I know this will be a huge job and I've heard if there is snow on the ground that using a fisherman's sled to transport meat is pretty handy (I understand the WGFD even has some of these on hand you can borrow).

Lastly, if we use a meat processor in WY who do you all recommend? I've used one in Star Valley and a few around Laramie but never been super impressed. And if anyone knows someone in WY who tans hides with the hair on that'd be nice to know.

Thanks
    My biggest fear in life, is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My dad's WY buff hunt was early in the season...

fish and game assigned us a season....and we went then and got 1! but they said if we need to change that date etc... it would be possible...

so if need be... I think they'll try to work with you to be successful.

we had a guide... and after seeing all of us cut this thing up... once it was down, I was glad we had like 5 of us doing the job!

2 guys and a buffalo I think would be a bit of a nightmare! unless you really had a winch etc...or horses etc...

btw if he's doing a head mount and a Rug... there won't be much of a rug left over...
    Last edited by HuskyMusky; 05-01-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've never been on the hunt, but here's what I can tell you. The G&F will assign your buddy a one week window in which you can hunt the refuge in Jackson. Other than that, I think you can hunt the forest around Jackson as well as the area North of Cody anytime during the season. He should get a brochure with his license that explains the process throughout.

something to keep in mind around Jackson is that the 'you tag em I drag em' guys run a buffalo retrieval service, but I think they charge about 500 bucks.

Also, he should be put on a list that rangers in Teton Park will call if they have any animals they want to cull for various reasons. Tell your friend to start saving money because this will be a pricey adventure between hunting, hauling, processing, and taxidermist fees associated with such an opportunity.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also, there is an outfit in Thermopolis that tans the bison hides for Cabelas as well as a tannery in Lander that can do the robe.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great information guys, thanks so much. I know he's planning on just doing a European skull mount and using all the hide for a rug. Also, good to know the WGFD is flexible with scheduling.
    My biggest fear in life, is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Its not an easy hunt by any means...probably one of the tougher ones of any species even though most people assume it will be easy. If your buddy plans to just wait an hunt the refuge, he better pray for snow and cold. Those buffalo stay in the park/forest line until they get forced to move to the refuge. Its a hit or miss depending on weather. Hunting the forest, plenty of people are successful, but it takes time to figure out where the bulls are and to get to them before they cross back into the park, just don't expect to show up..see buffalo..and its over in a day. You will be very lucky if that was the case. . As for processors... Hog Island Meats south of Jackson 10 minutes does a great job. We send 25+ elk there every season plus i take my personal animals there as well. DJ and his Wife run a good business.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Man that sounds like a fun hunt!! I would drag a few more buddies along as stated. Not sure 2 of you could even roll one over. Best of luck and please share your story and photo's with us when you get back successful or not!!!!! Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    My buddy in Sheridan also drew a bull tag and I hope he goes on at least one trip over there while I'm out for our other hunts this Fall so I can tag along. The season runs from 8/15/14 through 1/18/15 and covers all of area 2, as well as part of area 1 listed on the G&F website, so the weather could be anything from hot to -20 and snow depending on when you go. I doubt that two guys could even move one to dress it out without a block and tackle, so my guess is that most who draw the tags will be in touch with one of those outfits that has the horsepower to get it out and to a processor.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    TG, that will be awesome for you and your friend. I'd just make him plan the hunt around when you'll be in state

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bring your roller skates. There is some good advise above. I think the $500 bucks or whatever for the packers to come get it is the best way to go, especially if you want a good hide. I tried hunting the refuge for elk a couple of times, but I timed the weather wrong just like mntnguide said. The sled would help, but it would still be a few trips I would think. Its all downhill on the way back if you hike up and out of the refuge at least. Topgun is right about the weather, it snowed 2 feet on this side of the divide Oct. 1 and the next week it seemed like it was back in the 60's. I haven't looked into hunting buffalo much, but some guys have shared their meat, and it is very good. Worth the money for the trip and everything, plus you get to go hunting for them. Pretty fun. Good luck.