Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Onx Hunting Maps

Folks have opinions or reviews on the state by state Onx GPS hunting maps?
    Thanks
    Mike

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If your wondering about the chip you can buy from them to use on your computer or with your GPS? They are worth every penny! I only have the one for Wyoming and have used it for a couple years. When I spoke with the Game and Fish officer he also said they are priceless. No fighting with anyone if you can pull your GPS out and show them your on public land.

This winter I have been using the chip on my computer a lot and marking out areas and then overlaying it with Google Earth. I am very happy with the purchase and will buy other states when the time comes.

I have not purchased any printed maps from them though or any other products.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info. I am really concerned about the private/public land issues. I drew a deer tag in a unit this year that has a sizable amount of private land mixed amongst the public and I want to make certain I watch my steps. I don't want to wander on someone's private land by accident. Looks like a good purchase. Thanks.
    Mike

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted northern nm on state land last oct and only had delorme gazateer and maps printed off of the state land office. I had no problem finding state land or bucks. I debated on getting the chip but my gps wouldn't take one. The chip would be handy but if you do your homework you will be fine with good maps in hand. What unit did you draw? l
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcowboy View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am really concerned about the private/public land issues. I drew a deer tag in a unit this year that has a sizable amount of private land mixed amongst the public and I want to make certain I watch my steps. I don't want to wander on someone's private land by accident. Looks like a good purchase. Thanks.
    Mike

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Once you have a chip you will want one for every hunt you go on! Even if you are hunting private land it will tell you who the owner is so you know you are still on the right ranch. First time I used one was last year and I dont know how or why I went so long without one.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for responding Musket Man, swampokie, extreme minnesotan. I think I'll invest in the set for NM. Swampokie, I drew in unit 38 for muzzle loader mule deer. Swampokie, did you have rifle or bow hunt last year in NM? I don't know that area ((38) at all except from Google earth and Cibola National forest maps. Excited to see some new country, although I will miss my usual haunts this year. I will still be backpacking them as usual.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    anybody have or use the TOPO TRIMBLE version chip? I see with the ONX you have to buy a yearly subscription to use your smartphone! Topo is a one time buy. Is one better than the other or are they about the same. looks to me that they both have the same features!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Do they make a chip for all western states? Or is it state by state?
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    state by state I beleive

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Do they make a chip for all western states? Or is it state by state?
    They have some regional chips that cover several states. Rockies North covers MT, ID & WY, Rockies South covers UT, CO, AZ & NM, there is a Northwest, Midwest, Great Lakes, etc.

They cost the same as the single state chips, the biggest difference from my understanding is that they don't have the landowner names on the regional chips like they do on the state specific chips.

I was never able to justify the $100 price tag for a single state, but since I hunt in several of these states I was able to justify the expense for the regional chips.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to npaden For This Useful Post: