Thread: Dillon area

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Smile Dillon area

So im moveing to Dillon. Never lived in that part of the state before i know there's lots of outfitters and nonresident people that hunt the area...anyone know of any places i absolutely should not hunt?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I can't help you much, but that area is where I shot my first buck around 1966-67. It was wonderful then but may have changed a little since that time. I was recently visiting with a guy from that area who says that there are far more elk than mule deer now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There is some great elk hunting near Dillon but the mule deer numbers are the worst they've been in a long time, whitetails are thick but mostly on private.. There is also a lot of open country for a guy to hunt. Most river bottoms will be checkered with private ground so a GPS with the Hunt Maps chip is a necessity.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think a year ago, maybe it's updated annually but they show elk numbers by unit... under populated/ level / and over populated... I hunted an under a few years back and I would def be hunting over populated elk units in that region...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 4 Posts
    I killed my only whitetail outside Dillon, lots of private.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I lived the majority of my life in Dillon, growing up and going through school there. Hunted about every inch of beaverhead county and it is some beautiful country!! I echo what JD said about the mule deer. Its sad what the MT FWP has allowed to happen down there. Other than a few big ranches there isn't a mature (yes FWP just because it has 4 points doesn't mean its mature) mule deer buck in the entire county, outside of the Lima Peaks "trophy" area. I had a great friend who drew the LP permit last year and we did see quite a few solid bucks but nothing like the glory years when you'd see 20-25 bucks every day and several trophy bucks.

The elk numbers are still doing ok, and I do still archery hunt in Beaverhead county. I would say that archery hunting is your best bet for a mature bull. When rifle season opens its a rat race with literally thousands of people flying around on 4 wheelers and all the vast majority of elk on are the private ground that doesn't allow hunting within the first couple of days of gun season. There are some places where you might still find elk on public ground but you'll have to work hard and believe me you'll earn a mature bull. They will go as high as possible, even into the 5 foot deep snow, or into the nastiest places imaginable until all the fluorescent orange is gone.

Whitetail numbers are through the roof in the area, but like was stated by guys already they are virtually all on private ground. You can find some checkerboard public stuff or a few BMAs that hold deer but again they'll get pounded by hunters once gun season opens.

Beautiful country, still adequate elk numbers, lots of great local people, and if you're into casting a fly some of the best fly fishing in the entire state flows right through the town of Dillon! j

Maybe I'll see you on the mountain this fall chasing bulls!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to medtech10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    oh yeah, antelope numbers are still ok, but also have seen much better days as well

9. The Following User Says Thank You to medtech10 For This Useful Post: