Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

mule deer migration and patterns

my question is when do mule deer they actually start there migration for the wintering grounds? So if I was scouting this summer on a mule deer/ backcountry backpack and found some nice deer can I expect to see them in the same area or are they going to be long gone when it comes to oct rifle season?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Depends on the place, but chances are they'll be long gone if you're scouting high. If you happen to scout low (just off winter range) and find a few resident pockets chances are decent they'll be overlooked and could still be in the area come 2nd season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's confusing. So when do u guys do all your scouting for mulies just before season?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/enterta...awyer.html.csp

Here is a recent article about Wyoming mule deer migration. Most herds I don't think go as far, that is why the article was such a big deal. I think there are a lot of factors determining when they move out. Snow, food sources, water sources, etc. so nailing down an exact time of migration and if they will still be there pretty tough, I think packmule is right, it depends on the herd. There are some resident deer at lower elevation that don't migrate as far and might still be there. Up higher, they might still be there depending on if the snow forces them out of the good feed.

I think that you can scout all year, you just have keep in mind the migrations. I think you find most sheds in the winter range. Then just look for food sources in the summer. I think it takes a few years of scouting to get a good idea on when a herd will move, where they move, etc. or ask the biologist.

http://www.muledeer.org/hunting/mule-deer-facts#2 This is pretty generic info on food sources. I don't know much, hope that helps some. There will probably be lots of other good information posted.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    That's confusing. So when do u guys do all your scouting for mulies just before season?
    Towards the end of the prior season as hunters clear out and during the split.

Photoperiod will trigger migration regardless of weather. Once the velvet comes off their habits will change drastically from what's seen during the Summer, even with resident/crop field deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It really depends on the area and the weather. How far the deer have to migrate can also make a difference. Some places need snow to push them down and some they start to move down more by the time of year. Alot of times bigger bucks will hold out longer then other deer. What area are you hunting?
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mm-for mule deer colorado unit 421 and are the patterns kinda the same as elk cause really want to do some scouting and backpack camping trip in unit 39 wyoming cause really want to get to know the area cause it is pretty close to where I live if u consider 7 hrs close. I was going to hunt unit 420 OTC colorado for elk but 39 wyoming is where I think I'm going to shoot for. Plus I want to get so e more experience backpacking and trying to understand the terrain a little before I hit it hard after elk and would like to find some areas to hunt first so not wasting time during season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post

Againsthewind-thanks for posting that article.great read

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I went to a couple ranches with some friends a few times in CO 42 3 rd season and it really depended on the weather. 1 year there was no snow and everything was above us, another year there was to much snow and all the animals were below us. It would depend on the year and season you hunt but I think they would be moving out of the high country by Oct.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"