Thread: water purifier

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts

water purifier

What is the name of the water purifier that you can hook into your bite piece and also leave your bladder in your pack without taking it out. It just hooks to bite piece then to pump. Has anyone used them they just seem that it would be easy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have always had good luck with Kadadyn water purifiers. The hiker pro model kindof sounds like what you were describing maybe. I haven't ever gotten sick from the water using them anyway, and mine has lasted quite a while (not using it much the last few years, oops).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I ordered the quick fill adapter and that will hook in to the katadyn hiker pro so won't need to pull bladder out of pack. Thanks for the help againstthewind

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts
    I have used the Katadyn Vario, Hiker, and Hiker Pro in various conditions. Here are the biggest things that I would watch out for:

-Keep the filter warm at night. A frozen filter doesn't function nearly as well as it should.
    -Follow the cleaning instructions. It will REALLY prolong the life of the filter and your water will taste much better over time.
    -At minimum take it apart and dry it out when you come home. If you don't expect mold to grow on the filter and you will be buying a new one.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    I have the Katadyn with the quick fill adapter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks scott yeah those are some good tips to keep in mind

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Also keep the O-rings lubed with the little tube of silicone that comes with the Katadyn. Before I got my Katadyn filter I had a Sweetwater with a ceramic filter. I seemed to work OK but I never lubed the O-rings and then it failed on me in the backcountry. Boling all your water sucks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I have used the Katadyn Vario, Hiker, and Hiker Pro in various conditions. Here are the biggest things that I would watch out for:

-Keep the filter warm at night. A frozen filter doesn't function nearly as well as it should.
    -Follow the cleaning instructions. It will REALLY prolong the life of the filter and your water will taste much better over time.
    -At minimum take it apart and dry it out when you come home. If you don't expect mold to grow on the filter and you will be buying a new one.
    I agree with these statements. I've been on the AT with temps in the single digits with wind chill and it took me until unch the next day to thaw it out. Had to boil my water for breakfast.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    What is the name of the water purifier that you can hook into your bite piece and also leave your bladder in your pack without taking it out. It just hooks to bite piece then to pump. Has anyone used them they just seem that it would be easy.
    The MSR Hyperflow Microfilter will connect to a Camelbak bite piece or to some (MSR) nalgene bottles with its included parts. It's an inline pump and is fast when the filter is clean. For storage, they recommend using a solution of two drops if bleach per liter of water for a disinfectant flush prior to long term storage.
    Using Tapatalk